Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running XFree86 4.3 and I have a "Powered by ATI" Radeon 9000 card. I've been trying to get a few FPS games to run right, but many of them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Games and "Powered by ATI" Sapphire Radeon 9000

I'm running XFree86 4.3 and I have a "Powered by ATI" Radeon 9000 card. I've been trying to get a few FPS games to run right, but many of them crash really badly. I had to restore my root partition after the UT2003 demo crashed, which was kind of annoying. Quake 3 works perfectly, but both RTCW and UT2K3 crash. If it even gets to rendering the levels, they always have rainbow colored polygons all over the place.

So, my question is, has anyone gotten these games to work on a Sapphire Radeon 9000? I'm assuming its a problem with the card/card drivers.

Everything else seems to work perfectly with the card, expect for those few games.

Linux Engineer
    i have yet to get 3d drivers workign on my radeon card so ur doing better than me

I've not played with those specific games on that specific card, but I have dri working on my Radeon 9600 Pro AIW. Are you using the drivers that ATI provides for Linux? And do you have dri working? (glxinfo | grep dri)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    ati cards are bad on linux, go buy a nice nvidia card for 300$ or less

I'm using a Radeon 9000, and I'll admit I had no idea that there were support issues with ATI cards when I built my box.

I can run the UT2k4 demo (I don't have the full game) with no problems. Nothing crashes etc. I don't know why I'm not having difficulties, as a lot of people seem to. I don't have many 'serious' games on my system though.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso