Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just looking for any reccomendations for a decent MUD or a RPG that is Linux compatible. Something online like Gemstone III would be fine, if its good enough I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for MUD/RPG

Just looking for any reccomendations for a decent MUD or a RPG that is Linux compatible. Something online like Gemstone III would be fine, if its good enough I don't mind shelling out a few bucks a month. Their site specified that you needed Windows for it to run properly so thats not an option.

I've heard mixed opinions about WineX so I would prefer to avoid until I know a bit more about what the heck I am doing in here.

Linux Engineer
    A Tale in the Desert any good?

http://egenesis.centralserver.net/
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

I've played Medievia on and off now for about 4 years. It's pretty fun.

Oh...and I use mcl as the client in Linux. Don't have the link for it atm, but google should help.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I used to play at:

www.nanvaent.org

That's where I got the name 'Fingal' rather than the perfectly good name I was christened with. It's a good MUD, but there are a lot of player killers once you get over level 30. Fingal (the wizard... sorry for being such a NERD!) got as far as level 85 Most people log on using GMUD. Don't know if this runs using Wine. There is a good MUD client for Gnome on the Sourceforge website (Gnome MUD?). I know that a few Linux people play the MUD as one player was called, 'Linux Lass'.

I met some of the Mudders, and they refused to call me, John. I was Fingal and that was it!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Hmm..think i'll try Medievia, looks most like what I am looking for. Now all i have to do is figure out how to download the MCL thing and telnet in...I think...

Being a newbie on Linux is tricky, I love the stability and the options, but with so much of the world stuck on windows its tough learning a new system like this. its a different language entirely.

Linux Guru
    Indeed it is a different language. You may want to look in a dictionary from time to time:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2528

And if you need any help with mcl or Medievia, just let me know.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Well, I rebooted into Windows to try out Medivia and I think I'm already hooked, but I would love to get MCL working so I didn't have to.

I went to the link provided by Medeivia (www.andreasen.org/mcl/) and first tried downloading mcl-0.53.00-1.src.rpm to my desktop, doubleclicked that and nothing happened...left clicked it and selected install package, a pop up window asked for my root password, I entered it...then nothing happened. Then I tried downloading mcl-0.53.00-bin.tar.gz thinking I might be able to try the whole make install thing, which by the way has not worked for me yet.

Honestly what I need is a super newbie guide. Something for those of us who still take five minute to try and find the C drive before remembering that there isn't one anymore. I am to the point where I can log on to a root console but I have zero idea what to do once I have done so. I would love nothing more than to mount my first HD to linux to access all my MP3s but no matter what I try I get nothing, and I have read/printed/followed step by step the tutorials found in here, there is just something I'm not getting yet...

Linux Engineer
    any RPM with the extensions .src.rpm are source rpms, not binary files.. when you installed that rpm you installed the mcl source code somewhere.. see if you can't find a binary rpm.. the extensions on binary rpms are usually the arch it was built for and *sometimes* an abbreviation for the distro it was built for (some distros like mandrake use a *heavily* modified kernel that is almost, if not completely, incompatible with other distros.)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    And thats the sort of thing that I am talking about as far as being too much of anewbie. I appreciate the help and the effort Lordnothing, but honestly I don't understand a thing you just said.

Source, binary and arch oh my...the majority of the tutorials I have read through don't explain these things, they assume a baseline of knowledge that I just do not have.

I am of the 'User' generation not the 'Admin' Untill now if I wanted to download something I clicked on the link then double clicked the exe file or the zip file and windows walked me through the rest untill i had a link in my startup menu and another icon on my desktop. This is something that sort of kept me away from Linux for a year or so, knowing that it was so much more involved in piecing things together and making them yourself.

So, for now it appears that I will be jumping back and forth between windows and linux. A day or so in Windows to play games and listen to my MP3s, then reboot to linux in order to surf the net without crashing or catching a virus.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast