Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by giantgreengoat
    Good point. Well, ok here are my criteria:

wifi support with my lame broadcom (probably based off ndiswrapper & windows .inf)
    As far as I know, no distribution other than perhaps Xandros includes NDISWrapper installed and configured by default. You can certainly install it yourself on whatever distro you choose.

dvd, avi, mpeg, divx, vcd playback
    mp3 playback
    vcd/dvd burning and copying
    None of the major distributions will have this installed "out of the box" either. It's a relatively easy fix, but it requires an internet connection.

cd burning (audio and data)
    some photo editing
    All major distributions should have this.

support for my hp photosmart printer
    sync-ability with my palm and mp3 players
    I've never synced a Palm, so I can't comment there. If your MP3 player is an iPod, there are programs available such as GTKPod that claim to work. I've never tried to sync my iPod, but I've been able to browse it in SuSE.

I also use Wine and Cross Over for a few of my little girl's games. Although she does prefer gecompris and tux paint.
    If you have CrossOver already, any distro should work for this. If you're looking for a distro that *includes* CrossOver, Xandros is the only one I know of.
    Registered Linux user #270181

gcompris, sorry.

I think I did this wrong. I focused on apps. I'm used to debian's apt-get and automatix. I also like a gui with a light footprint ala windows shell replacement litestep. So, I guess I should have gone this route originally instead of the other business. A feature like hibernate would be good as well as the form factor links in the gui to the volume and such, being a laptop and all. Thanks, it wasn't my intent to create a discussion on available apps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I tried out CentOS last night on a live disk. It is really nice. Feels tight and responsive. Is it a derivative of RedHat and does YAM work like Automatix? Also, my laptop is widescreen and I didn't notice native 1280x800, is it something I can add to the xconfig text file?

Quote Originally Posted by giantgreengoat
    I tried out CentOS last night on a live disk. It is really nice. Feels tight and responsive. Is it a derivative of RedHat and does YAM work like Automatix?
    CentOS is based on the freely-available Redhat code, so yes it's a derivative. YUM is a package management system. I've never used Automatix so I can't comment there.

Also, my laptop is widescreen and I didn't notice native 1280x800, is it something I can add to the xconfig text file?
    Yes, you can add it to the "Display" section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    Registered Linux user #270181

Thanks for everything!

and so the thread has went OT
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Yeah, conversations and all... sorry.