Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I get my MP3s off of my windows partitioned hard drive onto my redhat linux partitioned hard drive? Can somebody help, thank you in advance....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Transfering MP3s from one hard drive to another.

How can I get my MP3s off of my windows partitioned hard drive onto my redhat linux partitioned hard drive? Can somebody help, thank you in advance.

Linux Newbie
    You might have to login as root to do this, but go to /mnt/windows/. That is equivalent to C:/ in windows, so from there, it should look familiar to you to find them. Once you find them, u can copy them to a directory in linux, such as /music and giving it 777 access for all users to listen to and add and delete some.

Just Joined!
    i dont have a windows folder in mnt. Any programs out there to do this?

You will need to mount your windows drive to /mnt/windows for this to work. Log in as root (su in a shell) then type: (asuming your music is in the first partition of your first drive (Usualy C in windows))
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    this will allow you to copy all your files if you're logged in as root. You won't be able to do this as you. The other way to do it would b to mount the drive from tyour fstab file. If you want to know how to do this, let me know! hope this is ok!

Just Joined!
    Didn't work:

root]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel
    There was no "windows" folder in my mnt so I just created it myself, then ran the command you gave me.

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    edit: could you help me out with the second way you mentioned also? Thank you.

Before you do that do you know what partition windows is on? And what file system is windows using? We do not read minds

Just Joined!
    I think this is what you want:

/dev/hda

hda1 Start: 1 End: 2433 Size: 19085 mb ntfs

so it would be
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    mount is the command -t is the file system type which is ntfs next is the partion windows is on and last is the mount point.

Just Joined!
    I got it figured out. I had to update my kernal, then those commands starting working. Thanks for your all's help!