Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so I have a plan for this summer, and here it be: I want to build a fast, but inexpensive shuttle pc that'll be used mainly as a game ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lightbulb Linux Game Console (Which Distro Should I Use?)

Okay, so I have a plan for this summer, and here it be:
    I want to build a fast, but inexpensive shuttle pc that'll be used mainly as a game console. I want it too hook up to the TV and have a very nice menu... and run it all from a controller or remote. Now here's the catch. Which Linux distrobution will make it easy for me to pull off this project? Even moreso, I'm going to need a lot of help putting this together, because I'm very new to Linux (I've passed newbie status! YAY!)

My plans for this system's hardware are:
    128MB Graphics Card
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB (or if cheap enough... 1GB)
    4 USB ports (for up to four controllers)
    5.1 Digital Surround Card
    PS/2 Ports for manual override (maintanence, ect.)
    Media Card Slot (for saves)
    DVD Drive (Movie Playback/CD Playback, MP3 Playback... and games to run)

What I'd like to do with it software-wise:
    Movie playback (as many formats as possible... but AVI, DivX, XVid, and OGM for the basics along with DVD support)
    Music playback (Mainly MP3, WMA, OGG... but support for other plugins)
    Emulators (Including PS1 which will use the CD Drive, and me thinks the basic
    emus will be appropriate)
    Support for Linux games (SuperTux, ect.) that have use with the controllers.

If anyone can help me with this project, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-SkullFire
    Last edited by skullfire; 07-15-2006 at 01:28 AM. Reason: ...

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

m8
    me to a newbei to linux
    but talking about gaming and multimedia i prefer to use windows.

and abut the configuration

--how abut board wiht pci-e, 3.2ghz
    and 512 mb ati or nividia gpu

www.distrowatch.com is where you need to go look at the distro choices and decides what best fits your needs. distro choice is more a personal choice that what someone can tell you. kinda like the ice cream example i have heard so many times before. start with the top ten.

i dont agree with the comment about multimedia and gaming. you do have to make sacrifices. if sites are on newer flash then you have to sit back and hope macromedia upgrades the linux version from 7 to 9. i can do now just about everything i do in windows with linux. i use mplayer plugin to look at streaming video. i play games including open source games and closed source games. with closed source games you have to make another sacrifice. you only can get games that are ported to linux in someway. for example the unreal tournament series. i am playing unreal tournament 2004 on linux. anything by ID software will always be ported. you buy the windows copy download a linux installer and the cd key from the windows copy activates the linux version. with open source games there are a plethera of games that will fit your needs. for example a fps like quake is planetarena look it up in google. there is real time strategy for open source games as well. i dont know because i cant find it off hand but there is a guy that visits these forums that has a blog about open source gaming. but all this means you are limited a bit to games that have linux ports. the majority of windows games dont have that and you have the option of playing with cadega which is a program that emulates windows API's and Direct X calls so its possible of playing on there but there is no guarantee the game will work and there is a subscription fee. wine is an emulator like cadega and is free but doesnt have the DirectX calling available.

good luck and have fun.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Thumbs up Heh

Yeah... Windoze doesn't do well with multimedia and gaming... with very minor exceptions. And even then...

Let me note that by inexpensive I mean $250 or less. So having a 512MB PCIe card and 3.2 Ghz speed is not exactly cheap. Plus, I was looking at going with an AMD Athlon 64 Chip... if they are cheap enough.

Something else I would like to have is an over-ride control so I can get into the root user to update things like plugins, roms, patches... ect. But that shouldn't be too hard ^_^

Thanks carlosponti for the advice, I'll look up those programs and check 'em out. The hard part is going to be programming the menu... I was thinking something like the GP2x menu, just a little more complex and shiny! ^_^ ! Anybody have any ideas for a menu making program that'll work with a controller? Also, which controller should I use? I have a LogiTech one... but I've never been able to get it to work with Linux.
    As for using cadega... I'm not interested in spending moolah on it just yet, but I will certainly keep it in mind (ESP for DirectX functions...)

-SkullFire

Anymore suggestions? Maybe links for cheap hardware or programs that'll be useful for this project?

check out mame its an emulator for old arcade games. find the roms is difficult and realy violation of copyright but hey what can ya do.

i found the free game blogger http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Talking Heh

What would the "Ultimate Console" be without the MAME? Think about it... one minute Pac Man... the next Super Mario 64... then SuperTux... then Doom... I think this project'll be the best I've ever done (although that's not to hard to say >_>)

-Skullfire