Find the answer to your Linux question:
I play a java-based massive multiplayer online role-playing game called RuneScape , and it works fine except for a single thing: I cannot enter special characters such as apostrophes or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RuneScape

I play a java-based massive multiplayer online role-playing game called RuneScape, and it works fine except for a single thing: I cannot enter special characters such as apostrophes or accented characters into the game. To quote myself in a thread I posted on a RuneScape fansite (red text are clarifications):
    To cut to the chase, RS [RuneScape] does not accept any nonstandard characters when I'm using Linux. I sent a message to Jagex [Creators of RuneScape], and they simply said they didn't understand my query. Below is the message I sent them:
    RuneScape does not accept ANY special character (at least not those involving metamaps, deadkeys or composition) I feed it using Linux. This includes, but is not limited to, apostrophes, backticks and other characters such as , , , but also ć, etcetera. I know this isn't related to java since applets I've written myself do accept these characters (save for the apostrophe, which is a known javax.swing bug). The applet does recognise that I am entering a deadkey, but does not produce a character when I finish the sequence (EG, pressing ' + a does not produce , nor does it produce a regular a, thus making me conclude that it indeed recognises the apostrophe as a deadkey).

Switching my character map to International Eliminate Deadkeys is of no avail - while it allows me to enter a normal apostrophe into other applets (using standard awt or swing input widgets), RS does not print anything.

Furthermore, entering of special characters works fine under Windows.

Please tell me if there is anything I can do to fix it as I find it extremely annoying.

Thank you for your time,

A Linux-loving customer.
    Some system stats:
    uname -r
    Code:
    2.6.17-1.2142_FC4
    java -version
    Code:
    java version "1.5.0_06"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
    firefox --version
    Code:
    Mozilla Firefox 1.0.8, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2005 mozilla.org
    mozilla --version
    Code:
    Mozilla 1.7.13, Copyright (c) 2003-2004 mozilla.org, build 2006050116
    My operating system is Fedora Core 4. As I told Jagex, if there is anything on my end that can be done about it, please do tell me. If not, I'll just send in a bug report or something.
    I have also tried with the latest JDK, 1.6.0 (beta), and it allows me to enter deadkey apostrophes into regular swing applets, but it has no effect for RuneScape. Minefield (Firefox nightly) did not change anything either, as was to be expected.

Since the people at the RuneScape fansite I posted this at generally have little expertise in Linux, I thought I'd post this here. If I can't get this fixed even with the help of you guys here, I suppose I will just submit a bug report to Jagex, but I want to be certain that it's no problem on my end first.

Oh, and if you play RuneScape too and want to chat in-game, drop me a Private Message here .

Just Joined!
    Strange... I would go ahead and send in the bug report. Runescape runs on a Linux server so I don't see why it would have anything to do with you running linux instead of windows. But you said that it works under windows so I dont know what to tell you. I dont see why they couldnt understand the message you sent to them.. *shrugs shoulders* I suppose you can either 1) Play on windows, 2) Stop using those special characters or 3) Send in the bug report. I'd do the second option if I were you, but im not so its up to you. Good luck

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

I've made Runescape work on FC5, using http://www.fedorafaq.org/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close