Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
but.. one thing i DIDNT do, is download those codecs you mentioned.. hmmmm EDIT: Ok I installed the codecs but it still wont work.. Basically, when I type 'xine' without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

but.. one thing i DIDNT do, is download those codecs you mentioned.. hmmmm

EDIT: Ok I installed the codecs but it still wont work.. Basically, when I type 'xine' without any arguments, xine comes up, and when i click on the DVD button, a black screen plays for a few seconds, after which an error message appears and xine closes. In the terminal, it shows some output that xine made while it was running. Paraphrasing, it says that it is using libdvdcss for DVD access. Then it says its getting the CSS keys for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB, VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_02_0.VOB etc all the way up to /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB. Then it says that it found 6 VTS's. After that, it says
    Code:
    xine: Relocation error /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.2/xine plug_ao_out_alsa.so:
    symbol snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_resample, version alsa 0.9 not defined in file
    libasound.so.2 with link time reference.
    Thats if I just type 'xine'. If I type 'xine /dev/hdc' or 'xine /dev/dvd' it says what I explained before, saying that there is no defuxing plugin and that the file format was not recognized. This time, though, it doesnt say that /dev/dvd doesnt exist (i made a link) nor does it complain that I dont have permission to access /dev/dvd.

I read somewhere that fedora users have to use /media/cdrecorder rather than /dev/hdc or /dev/dvd
    But I don't have a DVD player, so I'm not positive about this.....couldn't hurt to try it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    yes that might work. When you mount a cd or dvd, the data goes to /media/cdrecorder. If you 'ls' the /dev/hdc device, you'll get an error because the actual device doesnt contain data. What I do is go to /media/cdrecorder and copy everything to my home directory or wherever I want to put it. But thats a good idea. I'll try that and see what happens.

Is your sound working properly?
    I think this is a sound error.
    xine: Relocation error /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.2/xine plug_ao_out_alsa.so:
    symbol snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_resample, version alsa 0.9 not defined in file
    libasound.so.2 with link time reference.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    a sound error? yes my sound works fine. Though, i installed a new sound card because my old one didnt work, so really i have two. Maybe its trying to access my old one? Either way, I'm not going to pursue fixing this. (Thats another way of saying, I quit!) I'm installing XP on my computer and I'll just use it for playing movies and such. I appreciate all of your help though, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by prejudged_fire
    a sound error? yes my sound works fine. Though, i installed a new sound card because my old one didnt work, so really i have two. Maybe its trying to access my old one? Either way, I'm not going to pursue fixing this. (Thats another way of saying, I quit!) I'm installing XP on my computer and I'll just use it for playing movies and such. I appreciate all of your help though, thanks again!

DUDE!?!?
    it's not THAT bad.
    If I had a dollar for every time I said I was giving up on Linux, Bill G would be my whippiing boy!heh

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by prejudged_fire
    Nothing is bad enough to resort to XP!!!
    This is part of why linux works so well, it is very specific and concise. It just takes patience. There is a reason you installed Linux in the first place.... remember it.

Just Joined!
    lol yes your right. I installed Linux to program. I took off windows because of security problems, bugs, and a bunch of other junk. But there ARE positive things about Windows, and there ARE negative things about the all powerful open source Linux. Now, I still love Linux and no I'm not about to give up on it. Im just dual booting. I'll use Linux for everything that windows cant do (like having a decent security system and programming abilities) and use windows for the few things that Linux lacks (like playing encrypted DVDs and such). So dont worry, its not like im ditching Linux or anything. But I'm still open to ideas on how to fix this problem if a light bulb goes off in your head or something. Just post 'em here, I'll check once in a while.

Glad to here you aren't leaving Linux for Windows.....thats blasphemy! =-}
    You might consider installing mplayer.
    If you installed the livna repo per the instructions of an earlier post in this thread, all you need to do is: yum install mplayer mplayer-codecs mplayer-skins.
    Some people have a buttload of trouble with mplayer but xine works fantastic....then some people can't use xine, while mplayer works for them.
    Who knows maybe you'll get lucky?!

Just Joined!
    alrighty then, thats another idea (i never once thought about ditching Linux by the way, only dual booting . I'll give it a shot, but yum connects via the internet to download the programs correct? If this is true, I cant use yum. My Linux doesnt have a connection to the internet. I have a windows computer downstairs that is connected and until I get around to buying the equipment for a LAN, I have to download things on my windows, burn it to a cd and bring it up to my Linux to install it. But anyway I'll check out mplayer tommorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2