Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I'm running RedHat 9, and the built-in OpenGL games (eg TuxRacer) run extremely slow (~1FPS) on it. Is this a config-related problem? I also have a Mandrake 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SLOW OpenGL on RedHat 9

Hello everyone! I'm running RedHat 9, and the built-in OpenGL games (eg TuxRacer) run extremely slow (~1FPS) on it. Is this a config-related problem? I also have a Mandrake 9 CD and a Morphix CD and they both run the games fine on my computer. I don't know exact version numbers now b/c I'm not at home, but I will get them ASAP. Thx!

--Khumba

Linux Guru
    If you have an nVidia card, you will have to download and install nVidia's proprietary binary-only drivers to get 3D acceleration.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I dled the drivers and now it runs great. Thanks a lot!

Just Joined!
    I'm brand new on this forum and prety new to linux. How do I install new nvidia drivers for my nvidia geforce 4 mx440?

I'm assuming they come from nvidia's official site. I've had many difficulties in the past installing downloaded stuff so I want to be clear.

thanks.

Just Joined!
    Yep, you can go to NVidia's website and download the driver. Make sure that you do it without X running (no GUI, if your computer boots into graphical mode then boot into single-user mode instead by adding the number 3 onto the bootloader's command). Also, you have to be root.

The installer is very easy to use. It's pretty much going "Ok, Ok, Ok." After it's installed you have to manually edit the X config file, read carefully at the end of the install, it'll show you how to do that.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    ok, trying to do the same thing here, but I've only been using Linux (RedHad FedoraCore3) for about 2 days now. Where do I find the bootloader's command, and where do I put the number 3???

I'm completely lost, but I'm trying to learn....

Linux Enthusiast
    He means you need to run the installer outside of X Windows (the GUI base).
    Just open a console/terminal window, and enter:
    Code:
    su
    init 3
    You'll need to enter the root password when you put in "su" as well.
    When you're done and you want to restart X windows, just enter:
    Code:
    init 5
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050