Find the answer to your Linux question:
Whenever I start up XMMS and try to play anything in MP3 format I get an error message saying that "Due to patent Licsensing Red Hat Inc. has removed MP3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

XMMS doesn't support MP3?

Whenever I start up XMMS and try to play anything in MP3 format I get an error message saying that "Due to patent Licsensing Red Hat Inc. has removed MP3 support from XMMS." Does this mean I cannot listen to MP3's on XMMS at all anymore? If so could someone suggest an alternative MP3 player for linux.

Banned
    Also, can someone suggest an app that could convert the MP3 format into something else such as WAV or WMA.

If it doesn't support MP3, it won't likely support WMA, and WAVs are really big. I personally recommend you encode them into OGGs (it's a free format), and it's likely supported. As far as conversion goes, try searching the internet for "mp32ogg" or "dir2ogg". There's a lot of scripts out there that'll do the job. If you want to write your own, look into mpg123 (I think that's the name) and oggenc.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

hi dark_flame !!

you have to install xmms-mp3 too....

$ yum -y xmms-mp3

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

xmms is dead use wither the new forks

!) bmpx
    2) audacious

hi richiefrich !!!

Quote Originally Posted by richiefrich
    xmms is dead use wither the new forks
    can you explain a little bit more ???? how xmms is DEAD ???
    i am using it for last 5 months, it never gave me a SINGLE problem.......
    please explain.......

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

xmms is the only music app I can use. Noatun, JuK, etc etc just dont work. as their logo says "Sound of the Planet"

yeah so uh dark_flame, it should work after you listen to casper. Explaination: MP3 is a proprietary audio format and to avoid legal issue many linux distros refuse to have automatic in-box support. As a result, as in your case, you need to get the codec (or plugin per se) to play the file.

Just another thing that makes our lives more interesting.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I would just download the mp3 codec. Alternatively you could also use RealPlayer10 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    hi richiefrich !!!
    can you explain a little bit more ???? how xmms is DEAD ???
    i am using it for last 5 months, it never gave me a SINGLE problem.......
    please explain.......
    As i mean they have stopped work on it.. there are better things out there bmpx, audacious many others.. If i am wrong then sorry. but As to my understanding theres no more work on it . Also I'm not a fan of gtk1 I have stopped using it so as i recal there is an xmms2 but they are only fixing xmms .. no new releases.. yes it still works when i say dead i mean as in bmp is dead as well bmpx is the new one...

Quote Originally Posted by richiefrich
    As i mean they have stopped work on it.. there are better things out there bmpx, audacious many others.. If i am wrong then sorry. but As to my understanding theres no more work on it
    Simply because there hasn't been any new development on it doesn't mean it's not a viable music player. I use it quite often as my main player in Linux and it works just fine. It doesn't concern me that there aren't new versions since the last stable version works for me. "Better" alternatives are in the eye of the beholder.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants