Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have downloaded a pre-made server package for v1.3 which tells me that I can copy my installed version of the game, then unpack the package into the folder, run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Call of Duty 2 Linux Server

I have downloaded a pre-made server package for v1.3 which tells me that I can copy my installed version of the game, then unpack the package into the folder, run the cod2_lnxded file and Im set.

It will start the process but not command prompt appears.

Does anyone know of a different solution or a better server package?

Thanks.
    Zender.

Linux Newbie

Did you type in the map name?

Installation From Scratch

- Get the retail Call of Duty 2 disc(s) (there may be multiple discs depending on what edition of the game you have obtained, or perhaps a single DVD-ROM disc).
    - Copy the contents of disc ones "Setup/Data" directory to wherever you want to install the Call of Duty 2 Linux server. There should be a "localization.txt" file in the root of this directory, and a "Main" Subdirectory. Each additional disc should be opened and the contents of each "Data" folder should be copied over to the existing Main folder. When you have copied everything, the final installation size is around 3.5 gigabytes.
    - Alternately, you may install on Windows and copy the installed game to your Linux system, but many will opt to skip this step since the data files are uncompressed and easily accessible on the discs. Final installation size is around 3.5 gigabytes.
    - Unpack this archive in the root of the newly-copied tree, so "cod2_lnxded" is in the same directory as "localization.txt". Unlike the original Call of Duty, there are not seperate .so files like "game.mp.i386.so", so don't be concerned when you don't see them.
    - Now, run the server:
    cd /where/i/copied/callofduty2
    ./cod2_lnxded

- When you see "--- Common Initialization Complete ---", the game server has started, but you need to start a map before the server will accept connections. At this point, type:

map mp_leningrad

("mp_leningrad" being a given map's name).

- Now you should see your server in the in-game browser. You will now want to customize your server, but that is beyond the scope of this document.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I got out the CDs and it worked perfectly.

I have that server running fine now, along with my Battlefield 2 server. However my knowledge of the console/terminal commands is extremely limited. Too limited to be practical in running a server.

If anybody could direct me to a guide of console commands (I try googling for it, but only came up with installation guides -.- Ive already installed I need help running it) that would be fantastic.

-Zender

www.realityevolved.co.nr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Question Zender?

I have not tried the info i sent you yet. I will try to install cod2 tonight. I guess i should follow those instruction i sent you?

Does this allow to play the game and connect to other servers or just host the game. I want to be able to actully play the game. I should still be able to connect to my favorite server i'm hoping

Cool Call of Duty 2 Kubuntu Linux

I am a Kubuntu noob, and I don't think I follow. How do I run cod2, the game itself under Linux? Once I know that, I will try your instructions for running the cod2 server. Help!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcrawlers
    I am a Kubuntu noob, and I don't think I follow. How do I run cod2, the game itself under Linux? Once I know that, I will try your instructions for running the cod2 server. Help!
    I use fedora...but it was easiest for me to use wine or cedega for game installs.

Linux Newbie

Question Armyguy

I have cedega but i downloaded off of edonkey. I think you need a real subscription from cedega for it to work???

It does not seem to do any thing because it is askinfg for a user name and passwrd to use the program

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxnoobie
    I have cedega but i downloaded off of edonkey. I think you need a real subscription from cedega for it to work???

It does not seem to do any thing because it is askinfg for a user name and passwrd to use the program
    yes, you have to pay for it.

Thumbs up cod2 Linux

Yes, I have downloaded the Cedega small, but have not tried to install it. Seems like you have to pay for it, without a trial. Perhaps, it works so well that they have no need of allowing a trial of it, and there's also the "captive audience" factor.

Wine is free, and so...I will try Wine first. If it does what I need done, then all the better.

Bottomline, with Windows becoming more and more greedy not to mention "anti-consumer", and with Linux becoming more "user friendly" with its new distros, auto install apps and really nice gui's, more and more people like me (brave windows geeks seeking freedom?) will be trying Linux and needing help getting their games working (if possible) in Linux. I will try the Wine install and get back to yas with any issues. Thanks people.

Linux Newbie

Zender???

Zender i copied all the contens of COD2 mail folder to linux. When you unpack all those .iwd files where do you extract them to? Do you extract them in the MAIN folder itself?

I down loaded the patch. Should i Place the iw_15.iwn in the MAIN folder then extract the files?

Quote Originally Posted by Zender
    I have downloaded a pre-made server package for v1.3 which tells me that I can copy my installed version of the game, then unpack the package into the folder, run the cod2_lnxded file and Im set.

It will start the process but not command prompt appears.

Does anyone know of a different solution or a better server package?

Thanks.
    Zender.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast