Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed the free Red Hat 9 iso download on my Compaq. Everything is working great, except for a few things I need to set up. One of these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox .08 and Java

I just installed the free Red Hat 9 iso download on my Compaq. Everything is working great, except for a few things I need to set up. One of these things is java. I downloaded this file: j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin and I have no clue what to do with it?

My new Compaq Presario S6000CL came with Win XP and I used it for awhile but Red Hat seems to work better on it. So if I can get things I need and want set up with Red Hat then I am going to purchase Red Hat and use my 80GB and 20GB hard drives completely with Linux and Leave XP on my old computer.

Ron

Just Joined!
    what you do with that .bin file is:

1 - change the permissions so that you can execute it (chmod u=rx j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin)
    2 - execute it (./j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin)

it will create a rpm file.

3- install the rpm file that was created as root
    4 - create a link to the libjavaplugin_oji.so file, on the firefix plugin dir.

and that's about it

The first time i installed java I had trouble because of some other missing libs (think it was stdc++)

[ ]

sam
    Just Joined!
    I worked for about 3 weeks before I finally got it to work. The symlinks were
    daunting for me. Did you get it from the sun web site? They have great directions
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.jsp
    except they don't help with the symlinks. Finally someone here gave me the command
    ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/plugins
    and it worked. The directories may be different on your system and if you are using Firefox the /usr/local/mozill/plugins reference is not right. I have modified this command for Mozilla, Firebird and Firefox and they worked great. At the www.java.com site there is a place to check it and see if it works when you are done.

Just Joined!
    Ok. I did everything as directed except I believe I am still thinking like A windows user, .
    When a link was mentioned that was not just simpley "link to libnullplugin.so" , was it?How is a symbolic link done.

Here is the directory where the java2 folder is "/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libnullplugin.so"

Now I make a symbolic link to the "/usr/lib/firefox/plugins" ?

Again, is this different from just making a link like you would in windows?

Thanks

Ron

sam
    Just Joined!
    I'm a Windows user also and on somewhat of a learning curve here. I wonder why your Java installed itself in such a different place or maybe you forced there. I believe this would be your command as root or super user.

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libnullplugin.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Just Joined!
    The first post told me to use this file "livejavaplugin_oji.so" So I did. It still didn't work. So just for the hell of it I went and looked for a java folder and found it here "/usr/java" I found that file and brought up the terminal window and typed in "ln -s(and both paths.) It worked. Now I am wondering if I can just delete the java folder in my fire fox directory. Is it need at all. It has the same things in it that are in the /usr/java folder.

Ron

sam
    Just Joined!
    My java is in /usr/java directory. I think that is all you need.
    Glad you got it working.