Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I've been playing around with a drum machine package called Hydrogen. It works well on one level, and I managed to put together a funky little beat to play ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool Hydrogen drum machine

Hello

I've been playing around with a drum machine package called Hydrogen. It works well on one level, and I managed to put together a funky little beat to play with my guitar ...

The trouble is, once it gets going X uses 96% of my CPU. This makes the gui very choppy indeed. Once I terminate the app, X uses about 2% CPU.

Is this normal? I'm using an Athlon XP 2800 CPU on a machine with not much RAM - 256 MB ... Yes I know I need to upgrade my RAM! But I didn't expect so much CPU overhead from a single application.

All help appreciated.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Hi again - I think it was a bug. The version I'm using was obtained from a urpmi download/install. I found this on the Hydrogen site:
    22 Feb 2006 - The Hydrogen team is pleased to announce the release of Hydrogen version 0.9.3! The new release is immediately available for download. 0.9.3 is mostly a bugfix release, but also has some improvements. So what's new in Hydrogen 0.9.3? Integrated WASP plugins by Artemiy Pavlov, including innovative Booster, Noisifier and X-Shaper; New, much improved color scheme; Fixed various bugs related to Jack audio driver; Fixed 100% CPU usage bug.
    Looks like I need to start again with this package.

::EDIT:: I resolved this by visiting the Hydrogen site and downloading version 0.9.3. I compiled it from source using urpmi to install some missing libraries. After I'd got the right libraries compiling was quite easy. The bug has been fixed in the new version and this is a fantastic package. You can mix your own drum beats and the sounds are authentic.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso