Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help me or I go back to Windows. I have SuSE 8.2; updated on March 20th, 2004. When I try to use programs such as Trommler, Jazz++ and Rosegarden my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hanged by Music Apps

Help me or I go back to Windows.

I have SuSE 8.2; updated on March 20th, 2004. When I try to use programs such as Trommler, Jazz++ and Rosegarden my machine hangs and I have to hit the power button. Nothing else works. The programs open and then hang.

I am a poor musician and I was told great things about Linux and how it compares to MSWin. All of the online info says Linux is great for audio, but I haven't seen it.

Does the keyboard led's start to blink? What's your hardware, kernel and such stuff..

Kriss

Linux Engineer
    Yeah you need to suply more info for us to help you. maby a bug in the kernel module for your soundcard is responsible. What kind of soundcard have you and what kernel version are you useing? (it tells you at the top of any virtual consol)

Linux Engineer
    Try starting those progs from a terminla window and see what error messages you may get when it hangs?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!

I think it's a hardware issue.

Terribly sorry to be so vague in my initial post.

I am convinced that my problem lies somewhere on my motherboard. Without going into detail, I was sold a piece of **** -- sorry faulty -- board and the tech who eventually fixed the problem had to do some serious workaround to get it to function at all.

Like I said, I'm poor, so I have no choice but to use this board. I would like to take th opportunity to say DO NOT DEAL IN ANY WAY WITH ATIC COMPUTERS IN VANCOUVER BC!!! However, CALS' COMPUTER WAREHOUSE is fantastic.

I tried some of the apps on my roomies machine, a true frankenstien box if ever there was one, and they work much better. Hence my conclusion that it's a hardware issue.

So until I get a new board and a card that is definitely Linux-friendly, I'm putting the issue on the back burner.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond and I will let you know how it goes.

mentat