Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anybody reccomend me any mp3 conversion software? I want to convert my mp3s I currently have on my linux drive into ogg files so I can play them in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best Audio converision software?

Can anybody reccomend me any mp3 conversion software? I want to convert my mp3s I currently have on my linux drive into ogg files so I can play them in amrok player.

I would recommend ffmpeg for a nice CLI tool, extreme quality, lots of output and inputs formats.
    You can also get a frontend like SoundKonverter www.kde-apps.org

Note: amaroK can play mp3 if it using the xine engine or with gstreamer using gstreamer-mad and lots of other formats with the appropiate backend
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

cool thanks for that I don't know how to install Xine or their engines. LOL. Not sure if they're available on Novell SUSE Enterprise 10.

I have SoundKonverter installed as I wanted to try that out - but for some reason, when it starts to encode, it does nothing, I come back half hour later - it doesnt move from 0. Anyhow that's an entire different problem.

Linux Newbie
    Perl Audio Converter can easily do what you want. It can be used from the command line or from within amaroK or Konqueror.