Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if there is a way to get DVD's to play in SUSE 10.1. I have xine and several front ends but they won't play DVD's for legal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD playback in SUSE 10.1

I was wondering if there is a way to get DVD's to play in SUSE 10.1. I have xine and several front ends but they won't play DVD's for legal reasons. How do I get the codecs for them to work completly?

Get the dvd libs. libdvdread and libdvdplay.
    http://developers.videolan.org/libdvdplay/

Just compile and go. ;D

Just Joined!
    Ok so I checked and I have both libdvdnav (the newer version of libdvdplay) and libdvdread installed but whenever I try playing a DVD it tells me that this version of such and such does not have the ability to read DVD's please install codecs or some such depending on withc frontend I use for XINE.

Just Joined!
    Ok so here is the exact message from kaffine "This version of Xine has only a reduced set of supported codecs. It is not able to paly DVD's. Does this mean that there is another verison of XINE out there that will? MY version is the one included with SUSE 10.1.

I'm not a big Suse buff but after doing a quick Google I found this. It lists a few things you should do to make "SUSE the perfect desktop OS". It lists sources to dvd compatible versions of Xine. Good luck mate.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7527984757.html

Just Joined!
    Thanks man! I will definitly go through it all and let you know how it works out!

Just Joined!
    it worked great but now I can not get realplayer to open streaming video. When ever I try it opens in mplayer automatically. Any one have an idea how to make it so realplayer 10 reads realplayer streaming clips again? It worked before.

Just Joined!
    Using KDE you can change the file associations in the Personal Settings->KDE components -> File Associations

Just Joined!
    what do I use to do that???????

Just Joined!
    Ok so I found it but I do not know what should be assigned to realplayer 10. I found where it said streaming media and it was already assigned to realplaye 10 so it must not be what im looking for.