Find the answer to your Linux question:
The two biggest problems with people and Linux is hardware compatibility and lack of games. The question is, "What if you had a million or so machines with identical hardware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Linux for everybody on Playstation 3

The two biggest problems with people and Linux is hardware compatibility and lack of games. The question is, "What if you had a million or so machines with identical hardware all on the same network?" and "What if you could have Linux and one of the largest, most popular game libraries on Earth?" Enter the Playstation 3. Only time will tell, (hopefully only a few months) but by having Linux available on the newest console from Sony with built in Blu-ray, I believe it may finally be possible to get Linux out the the general public. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Yes, let's all go out and buy the latest proprietary standard from Sony because it happens to use Linux as its OS! I'm sorry, I don't share your enthusiasm.

I do not want Blu-Ray, nor do I own or want to own an HDTV. I have a library of perfectly good regular DVDs that look fine on my regular old tube television, and until I'm offered a practical reason to replace either I will not be wasting money on upgrades.

I also am not willing to pay $600 (or even $400) for a videogame system. My last game console purchase was a Nintendo DS for $129. I intend to hold on to that one for some time.

Sony's product quality has gone downhill in recent years (I say this based on personal experience). I also do not like the arrogant statements made by Sony executives about how the Playstation 3 is "really a bargain" and that I should bend over and take it. This is not the way to make me buy your machine.

Video games are a luxury, and they can be gotten from other sources or done without entirely. If all the companies out there want to do is push the latest HDTV hardware, they're going to do it without my financial backing.

This is just my two cents. If you do buy a PS3 I hope it brings you much joy. 600 dollars worth, even.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Xaide
    POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
    Yeah, cos Sony's all about bringing power back to the masses. Their CD rootkit hack of November 2005 really showed that.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Engineer
    Well said Moe!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

ha ha have fun with that Blu-Ray when Sony runs it into oblivion like they did with beta max.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

I was really looking forward to the PS3 but there are too many dissapointments. Hell I even heard they were underclocking it because it was running too hot, on top of removing a few cell cores.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 11-04-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Linux Newbie
    Is this spam? Because it reads like it!

Considering the huge number of public mirrors with linux iso images, source tar balls etc etc I think that linux is already available to the general public. I'm just glad that Xaide didn't post in all CAPS.

Linux Newbie
    Blu-ray... Heh. I'm more interested in Hollographic Storage! PS3 will probably have a VERY stripped down Linux OS, they are just trying to make people excited because 'oooh wow it has linux!'. I'm more excited about Nintendo Wii!

Quote Originally Posted by mahlerfan
    Is this spam? Because it reads like it!
    Yes, it's spam. The original poster did another one in another section about the Wii. The funny thing? It was the same message, with "Wii" thrown in instead of "PS3".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants