Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not too sure if this is the right area to be posting in but I'd really appreciate if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction. I've just taken ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Edirol UA 20 USB audio interface / ALSA / general compiling query

Not too sure if this is the right area to be posting in but I'd really appreciate if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

I've just taken my first look at Linux (Ubuntu 6.10), and I guess I'm preaching to the converted but it's ridiculously good. Wireless card and touchpad etc. etc. all worked instantly, which is more than I can say for Windows!

The problem I'm having is with my Edirol UA 20 USB audio interface. The system recognizes it to some extent, as when I plug it in a prompt comes up. Also, when I try a "lsusb" it can see it (Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0582:0025 Roland Corp. - in case that helps).

The problem is that I'm not 100% sure I've got my ALSA drivers installed correctly, and I can't get any sound playing through the USB interface (the onboard Realtek AC97 works OK).

I've found some mention of it in a search - a link here:
    http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices...sb/usbquirks.h

Seems to suggest that there is a patch of sorts. I'm not experienced with the technicalities, but would I be right in thinking that there might be a way to incorporate this code into the ALSA driver package, compile it, and then install the package to get things working?

I'm very new to this so it's really hard to experiment with compiling things and testing because I don't even know how to compile from the makefile or get any settings to reside in the correct place on the system.

If anyone could suggest any ideas for troubleshooting USB interfaces, or just point me in the right direction so I can learn more about the role of '.h' extension files in compiling source code so I can play around, I'd be forever grateful!

I'd love to replace Windows completely, but at the moment it looks like I'll have to stick with dual boot using Windows for music production until I get some cash for a more widely supported card. It's a shame the manufacturers (Edirol or others in general) aren't more supportive in terms of giving developers the necessary development specs - it would be in their best interests really!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Tom.

Just Joined!
    A little update...

I just found this page:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/changes/...v1-0-11rc1.txt

Which says:
    " + USB generic driver
    - Summary: Remove xxx_t typedefs: USB-Audio
    Remove xxx_t typedefs from the USB-Audio driver.
    - Summary: usb-audio: fix Edirol UA-20 support
    Somebody at Edirol f**ked up and released a new revision of the UA-20
    without class-specific descriptors, so now we have to hard-code the
    sample format.
    "

Does this mean I have to hard code my preferred sample format myself somehow, some where in the ALSA configuration, or is it already done in an ALSA fix?

Any help would be much appreciated as this is really doing my head in!