Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently did some recording for a school homework with an analog camera, a third party service helped to convert it to digital, but they encoded it in a really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which format does Windows play out of the box?

I recently did some recording for a school homework with an analog camera, a third party service helped to convert it to digital, but they encoded it in a really strange type of mpeg and I can only watch it in Linux with ffplay, xine and mplayer.

Now I'm trying to convert it to a format understandable by Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premiere Pro as my brother has to edit the file. I have tried all sorts of formats like mpeg2, mpeg4, xvid among others but I get just audio in Windows.

Does anybody know the correct parameters for ffmpeg to make a Windows readable video file?

Or maybe mencoder?

Thank in advance

ps: ffmpeg and mencoder rock!
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

when you tried playing in DivX in windows, did you have the DivX codecs package installed?

The most common cause i can think of in windows when you just have the audio and no video is that that codec pcakagae isn't installed.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

I don't think so, it tried to automatically get the codec but the download failed, no descriptive error messages.
    I herd something like K-Lite codecs pack, I will install it.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    I don't think so, it tried to automatically get the codec but the download failed
    Is this on the windows install? If so, how were you automatically getting it?

If it's failed, try getting the codecs manually from the DivX website, and install them from that file. Then try playing the DivX or XviD version in windows.

I don't know, I haven't used Windows for a WHILE now. It just pops a message about failed downloaded codecs
    Linux User #425940

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    I don't know, I haven't used Windows for a WHILE now. It just pops a message about failed downloaded codecs
    What does? Windows itself, or Windows Media Player? I NEVER knew Media Player to download and install divx codecs automatically. ALWAYS had to do it manually, not that it's hard!

Yes, sorted out installing K-lite codecs pack. But now the audio is out of sync
    Linux User #425940