Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Slackware 9.1 and I have no sound. I have onboard AC97 audio, how do I get sound in linux? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No sound, using AC97 onboard sound

I am using Slackware 9.1 and I have no sound. I have onboard AC97 audio, how do I get sound in linux? Thanks

what does "lspci | grep audio" tells you?

Good luck

Just Joined!
    root@darkstar:~# lspci | grep audio
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA AC'97 Audio (rev 02)

That is what it tells me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    try to "modprobe i810_audio" as root and test if you can get sound with "yes linuxforums > /dev/dsp". You cancel it with ctrl-C in the terminal you started it in.

Good luck

Just Joined!

I'm having the same problem

Hi Kriss,

I'm a newbie to Linux and am having trouble getting my AC97 card working. There seems to be a lot of help out there inregards to ALSA an OSS driver, though nothing that I can do.

After following your instructions above for the lspci command i get the same as panthrax.

When I try to do the modprove command i get the following error:

/lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o: insmod i810_audio failed

I would really like to get my sound working. Any help you could give me would be great.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    do "modprobe ac97" and "lsmod" also run "aumix" or amix or kmix or some other mixer to make sure the audio channels are not muted!

Just Joined!
    hello,
    I am having same problem.When i do lsmod it says module ac97 used by 0.how do i get it to use the module?i tried modprobe ac97 and got nuthin.(first week with linux)

Just Joined!
    OK i got sound working.i went to OSS website and downloaded OSS driver.