Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently downloaded a few tracks that my friend sent me and they are in .wma format. I can't play them, and I was wondering if there is a way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Any way to re-encode music?

I recently downloaded a few tracks that my friend sent me and they are in .wma format. I can't play them, and I was wondering if there is a way to re-encode it, without putting it on a cd. I can't put it on a cd because my burner is broken, I will have a new one in a couple months but I don't want to wait that long to hear this.. Thanks.

I don't believe re-encoding those tracks is such a good idea. You will loose much quality in the process, as the different compression algorithms works quite differently.

Why not install the proper codecs instead ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

kbk
    Well I thought I had the proper codecs, so I figured re-encoding would be the only way. What codec do I need to play wma?

Well I thought I had the proper codecs, so I figured re-encoding would be the only way. What codec do I need to play wma?
    w32codecs binary package. Maybe your files have DRM, if so, you can't play them on Linux
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

kbk
    I guess that is it because I have w32codecs. That's a big dissapointment .

You will need to replace your xinelib with the Packman libxine-1 to make use of the w32-codecs. Unfortunately the Suse one is crippled.

kbk
    Damn. Will it be fixed in 10.2? I'll still have the music since it's on my HDD.