Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I'm not really a very dedicated chess player, but next year I want to beat my computer. X-board with the GNU chess engine running behind it. I haven't played ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Chess: how can I improve?

Hi

I'm not really a very dedicated chess player, but next year I want to beat my computer. X-board with the GNU chess engine running behind it.

I haven't played for years, but last night I almost had it on the run. Any hints for beating it? Any chess learning packages you know of? I can't find any good ones.

Thanks!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I do play chess but only with my friends not with computer. So never thought of getting some software for the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Lawson
    I do play chess but only with my friends not with computer. So never thought of getting some software for the same.
    Hi - There's a package for Windows called Fritz which has a 'coaching mode', and it can play in a lot of different ways ... including 'drunk mode'

Not sure if there's anything similar for Linux ... So far X-board coupled with GNU chess is the best I've found. There are a lot of open source chess engines, and X-board is only a front-end gui to make it look a bit better.

I've tried learning from a book before, but I lost interest. It was just a thought.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for that information.
    Now I can think of playing online chess as well.
    A new resolution for the NEW YEAR.
    Cheers!

i play chess seriously ,i tried to beat GNU chess - But frankly it's really Grand master program.All the best fingal.
    If you beat GNU Chess program then take snapshot of screen and paste here
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi
    i play chess seriously ,i tried to beat GNU chess - But frankly it's really Grand master program.All the best fingal.
    If you beat GNU Chess program then take snapshot of screen and paste here
    Interesting. My line manager at work plays chess seriously and he thinks he can beat most chess software.

I would challenge him to beat GNU Chess, but he doesn't run Linux. I find it frustrating to be beaten by a machine ... The programme often moves its queen early on, or attacks too soon. Perhaps that's a weakness?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    The programme often moves its queen early on, or attacks too soon. Perhaps that's a weakness?
    Might depend on which books you have loaded. My guess is it's toying with you.

If you manage to beat gnu without taking steps to dumb it down please post the pgn file. This thing kicks my ass every time.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Just Joined!
    Chess programs beat most human players. I personally play Go so I wouldnt really know. I used to play chess with a windows app called Chessmaster 3000, I thought it was pretty good. I'm sure you can run it through wine though.

I have played X board for years, cuz I wanna beat it's @ss so badly.
    Good luck fingal....I don't think it's beatable. heh
    I had it on the run one day, then it got serious and made me look bad while kicking my tail.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    I have played X board for years, cuz I wanna beat it's @ss so badly.
    Good luck fingal....I don't think it's beatable. heh
    I had it on the run one day, then it got serious and made me look bad while kicking my tail.
    That just about sums up my own experiences. I've got better, just by playing over and over ... Once, I managed to reach about 30+ moves before it finally moved in for the kill.

Grrrrr ... I think it's silently mocking me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast