Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are any of the Linux distributions considered to the better for live music and recording than others? CCRMA at Stanford has a bunch of Redhat packages, and I have seen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a "best" distro for music?

Are any of the Linux distributions considered to the better for live music and recording than others? CCRMA at Stanford has a bunch of Redhat packages, and I have seen something called "Audioslack," but is there a preference among the pros?

Ideally, I will be using Pd or jMAX for some live sound mangling of my crappy pawnshop guitar and looping some noise under that. I'll also be making certain that my hardware is "Linux approved."

Thanks in advance for the input.

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo can scale to any task and I would favour it for what you are talking about.

Just Joined!
    i would suggest anything that is mainstream and supports native packages like rpms and has good support for MIDI input as well as a wide variety of sound cards, who knows, maybe even a small distro to save space for the sound you will be wanting to save.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Get Gentoo. It can take on any form you want it to. just add midi to your USE variable

Just Joined!

did you ever choose?

hey man im sitting here wondering if you chose it already or not or just dumped the project.

just a tip : GENTOO is great if you can stand the 24-48 hour compile time, its a chore even for the pros duude so dont be a stranger if you need help get on irc