Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Has anyone got the linux version to work? Mine crashes after it completes the login process and starts drawing for a few seconds. The moment I try to interact with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Second Life

Has anyone got the linux version to work? Mine crashes after it completes the login process and starts drawing for a few seconds. The moment I try to interact with the world my X server hangs and I must reboot.
    EDIT:Woah! Guess what! There's a secondlife live CD

Just Joined!
    It works , I played it on my SuSE 10.2 with 3D ATI driver installed.

Just Joined!
    Kool, I got it up and running now, what's your inworld name? Mine's "Aster Anza"

Just Joined!
    well....I switched to Enternal Land , SecondLife is java , and it is really slow ! besides , it is still alpha , not even beta !

Just logged into SecondLife for the first time ever.

:S

Wasn't really sure what was going on, and I wasn't really sure what the hype was all about :S Maybe I'm just getting old...
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Yes :'[, The client software for linux is unfortunately ALPHA. But second life itself really has potential. I dual-boot with windows and use that for secondlife. The client is in the release stage for that client. And in windblows the software runs at the actual speed of the game simply because it has support. And secondlife by it's nature has more than one point of failure. Most importantly you should have a good internet connection 1.5 megabit or better bandwidth is best. The next thing is latency. If you have satellite internet, you wont get much out of secondlife. It takes time for the signal to go up then back down. The last thing is the hardware. Secondlife is extremely graphics intensive. Only the Windblows and Macintosh clients can show you what it's capable of. Your graphics card is also necessary. IF you have a slow graphics card or one with less than 128M of memory SL is going to be REALLY choppy. Even my laptop struggles with sl. But there is more than one system in our house and in order to get secondlife to run optimally. 1GB RAM ATI All-In-Wonder Video card w/ 256M VRAM and X1300 GPU, The Windows Client(unfortunately). That runs fine except for server lag xD. But because the linux software is still in alpha, the software will just not preform as well on linux. The last thing that does not play well with secondlife is WiFi (or any wireless connection). If your computer has wireless involved anywhere in it's connection to linden lab servers the connection [ emphasis ] will [ emphasis ] drop. Maybe now, maybe later but it will happen in the middle of something. This includes home wifi and even wireless broadband ISPs. The things you can do to improve your experience are:
    1) Boot into one of the supported OSes (MAC/WIN), this has the greatest effect.
    2)Get a better graphics card.
    3)Turn off some eye candy.
    4)Limit the draw distance, defaults at 96m.
    5)Get a better internet connection (Cable/DSL)
    6)Make sure absolutely NO other programs or people are using the internet connection. If you dont you will pay for it. A single web browser session is alright but any more than that and you will suffer. And don't go to pages with lots of images.
    Most consumer internet connections are asymmetric while I have a 2.7 megabit connection my upstream bandwidth required to control my avatar/interact with others is only 384k.

Second Life is not java. The server software runs on top of GNU/Linux.
    Second life servers are a little bit slower than any other MMOG's because it has to do several things that the Unreal Tournament servers do not. First, Running the LSL virtual machine that allows objects to be programmed. Hundreds or thousands of scripted objects may be active at a time. Content uploading: You are allowed to upload sound files, Pictures and even motion GIFs. These both take a toll on the servers. My recommendation if you havent entirely given it up is to run the windows client(games are what I use windows for, cause it's a plenum) for the best experience.

Just found out about this "second life" business last night and am intrigued by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZakaqerE
    The server software runs on top of GNU/Linux.
    As is the case with Valve and other vendors, they'll take the time to make their server software run on Linux so Windows users can participate in a crash free virtual online environment, yet Linux users are always dead last and way at the end of the line when it comes to the client side.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

This Second life is quite fascinating!

I started out a few days ago with the Alpha release of the Linux version and was not very impressed. Just yesterday morning I noticed there was an update so I downloaded and installed it. In my estimation, it works far better that the first one.

Taking ZakaqerE's advice, I also booted into Windows and installed the .exe so I could make a comparison. Last night I "played" Second Life on both operating systems. After a few hours in Windows, I got a hard crash, then switched to Linux. Maybe it's just me, but on my hardware, I cannot detect any differences in how Second Life runs between the two.

I was also able to copy my configuration files from Linux over to Windows and it worked like a charm. I then moved my Second life directory onto a fat32 partition which enables me to keep the same settings regardless of which O.S. I'm using.

As ZakaqerE says, it is a very resource intensive thing to run! I'm running a 2 gig Pentium 4, 512 RAM and a 128 Nvidia 6600 AGP and there are places where it really lags, mostly when you are in a location where there is a large gathering.

Maybe we could obtain some space and create a location exclusive for Linuxforums members...

Just Joined!
    There is a small parcel just for us Linux users. Join the group: Linux Alpha Testers, or another Linux group. We meet on wednesdays. .

Quote Originally Posted by ZakaqerE
    There is a small parcel just for us Linux users. Join the group: Linux Alpha Testers, or another Linux group. We meet on wednesdays. .
    Sure, what time do you meet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast