Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Any way to play XM Radio online?

I've switched fully to Linux (FC6) now from Windows and have been able to do everything I did with Windows with Linux except for one thing: XM Radio.

On XMs website, u can log in and listen to their online stream. This isn't working in Linux for Firefox because the link is requiring Windows Media Player. I tried embedding mplayer into firefox and still no go. Theres one thrid party XM Radio player that I know of: XamP but they don't make a version for Linux.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work in Linux in any application: any browser, or media player? I use Amarok for all my other streaming media and mp3s. That would be the best, but I'll settle for any way I can play it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by scewing
    I've switched fully to Linux (FC6) now from Windows and have been able to do everything I did with Windows with Linux except for one thing: XM Radio.

On XMs website, u can log in and listen to their online stream. This isn't working in Linux for Firefox because the link is requiring Windows Media Player. I tried embedding mplayer into firefox and still no go. Theres one thrid party XM Radio player that I know of: XamP but they don't make a version for Linux.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work in Linux in any application: any browser, or media player? I use Amarok for all my other streaming media and mp3s. That would be the best, but I'll settle for any way I can play it at this point.
    Yes, you can with mplayer. Search for 'fc6 guide' on google and you will find a how to for fc6 setup. In the guide mplayer is setup as a plugin for firefox with all the codexs you need.

BTW I am steaming xm right now.

I've installed MPlayer ok and it works fine. I just cant get teh Mplayer plugin to embed it into Firefox to work properly. The first time I tried installing it there was an error and now when I try it tells me its already installed and quits.

Any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I got it. I have Firefox setup differently so the mplayer plugin wasnt copied into the firefox plugin dirtectory. I manually copied them and its workin great now. Thanks!!!

*nix stand alone XMradio player

Hey, I just wrote one in Qt. Its compatible with Mac,Windows,*nix, and BSD.

Requires either Mplayer or VLC, and has a significantly smaller footprint than Firefox and MPlayerplug-in.

Enjoy.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=75361

Install instructions?

How do you install it?

I tried "make and got this error:

/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

So I checked /usr/share/qt4 but all that was there were 2 directories: phrasebooks and translations.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by traetox
    Hey, I just wrote one in Qt. Its compatible with Mac,Windows,*nix, and BSD.

Requires either Mplayer or VLC, and has a significantly smaller footprint than Firefox and MPlayerplug-in.

Enjoy.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=75361
    Thanks for a great program! Compiled first time on my Gentoo Linux system (I have Qt 4 installed). Works great with Mplayer. Much nicer to use than Firefox with the Mplayer plugin. Very small memory footprint. Hope you can continue to develop the interface!

A few enhancements that would be nice:

- Pause and Play buttons
    - Ability to resize the window
    - display channel number as well as channel name in header
    - slider for volume instead of up/down arrows

Any chance of integrating this into Amarok? That would really be great!