Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Maybe your firewall is blocking port 6543? You could try making sure that it's open for the frontend to connect to the backend. Also, if you have netcat installed ("whereis ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Maybe your firewall is blocking port 6543? You could try making sure that it's open for the frontend to connect to the backend. Also, if you have netcat installed ("whereis nc" in a terminal - if it shows a path, you've got it), try connecting to port 6543 ("nc 127.0.0.1 6543") to make sure it's open and the backend's listening on it. If it shows "Connection refused" and exits, then the port's closed.

As for filing a bug report, I checked out the official KnoppMyth site and they don't have a bug-tracking system like BugZilla, so you could try the forums (http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/). Maybe someone there had the same problem and knows what's wrong (like a strange BIOS that Knoppix won't boot from, for example), or has already told the developers. If not, you could always start a thread about your problem booting it. Just make sure you tell every single detail - there's nothing more annoying to programmers than an incomplete bug report.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Just Joined!
    I don't think my firewall is the problem, since I permenantly run with it disabled in Linux. It seems to be so restrictive I can't do anything practical with it active. I am behind a gateway though, which should provide some security.

I haven't made much progress in this since I was accepted for beta testing Vanguard, but I have just posted my KnoppMyth probelm on the Knoppmyth forums.

Thanks for the help!

Too bad it wasn't anything as simple as a misconfigured firewall, but I hope you get some answers to your KnoppMyth problem. Glad I could help.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Update:

I got knoppmyth to boot up eventually, turned out it was a bad burn. The md5sum for the .ISO was fine, but for some reason the CD was bad. I re-burned it using verification this time and it worked fine. I had to use auto settings to get knoppmyth to install successfully, but it did work.

I managed to watch and record some live (analogue) TV but had few problems with the on-board sound card. The output was very quiet and slightly echoey. When I re-installed back to SuSE it worked fine, seems to be a problem with Knoppmyth's driver.

Then, using SuSE 10.2 I followed this guide to get mythtv working. The sound quality was fine but for some reason it was out of sync with the picture. The amount it was out by changed as I changed channels. This (I think) is likely caused by the fact that my TV card is analogue and the sound and vision are separated before getting to mythtv. A digitial card (I hope) will solve this.

Unfortunately this project is now on hold until I get a digital tuner card. However, if I had the money I would scrap this project and just buy a digibox.

I had a similar problem a while ago, with sound slowly going out of synch. It turned out to be caused by my system clock being a little too fast, which was a kernel bug that popped up when using certain Nvidia motherboard chipsets. A newer kernel fixed it.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by burntfuse View Post
    try connecting to port 6543 ("nc 127.0.0.1 6543") to make sure it's open and the backend's listening on it. If it shows "Connection refused" and exits, then the port's closed.
    Sorry to necro a thread, but this is exactly what's happening with me. I've run that command, and I did get a "Connection refused." I'm running Debian Etch, and I haven't installed any firewalls that I know of. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2