Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! What I would like to do is have a reasonably constant sound volume when listening to mp3's. This is because many times I'm listening to downloaded radio shows in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Constant volume

Hi!

What I would like to do is have a reasonably constant sound volume when listening to mp3's. This is because many times I'm listening to downloaded radio shows in which people sometimes are whispering, sometimes shouting. So currently I have to set the volume during playing the mp3 from time to time.

Is there a general (or mp3 player-specific) utility / special driver that can keep the volume at a constant level? A utility for pre-normalizing the mp3 files would do as well. It doesn't have to be mp3-specific either, ogg or wav-specific software is fine, too.

Unfortunately the various kinds of software I have found on the net only normalize the volume of the WHOLE sound file (i.e. they make the whole song louder or more silent by a constant factor), but don't even the volume differences between different parts of the song.

Does anyone know of any Linux software that is able to do this?

Thanks,
    Agoston

you'll do well to find anything on any platform for this. seems to me what your talking about is normalising only one level ie vocals from a downloaded source ie mp3 ogg
    i dont mean to be a pessimist but i think you won't have any luck.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Just Joined!
    Actually I seem to have found something that at least tries to do what I want: vlevel, which is a LADSPA plugin (therefore can be used in XMMS) and also a command line tool: http://vlevel.sourceforge.net/

I'm still testing it though, and since my ears are not that of a musician, there is still some experimenting with it ahead of me.