Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I run Mandrake 10 on an emachines M5116 laptop. I can play audio CDs at the moment only through Konqueror (audioCD:/). I get no sound from them when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kaffeine and audioCDs

Hello,

I run Mandrake 10 on an emachines M5116 laptop.

I can play audio CDs at the moment only through Konqueror (audioCD:/). I get no sound from them when I try other applications. In Kaffeine (0.4) I get the following error - "No CD, or wrong path to device." In Totem (0.99.9) I get - "Totem could not play this media (AudioCD) although a plugin is present to handle it.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Donald

Do you have sufficient access to the cdrom? Does it work as root? Might be a longshot, and shouldn't affect the software, but is the cable between your cdrom and soundcard present?

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Kriss,

It does not play as root. When I try to mount the CDRom through desktop device icon it tells me that it is the wrong medium type.

As far as I know the cable is present - I did manage to get the sound working OK in a previous installation of Mandrake on the same laptop.

Donald

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It is possible that you would have to configure the application to use the method of playback that you are using you might have to tell it OSS, ALSA, or what you might be using for sound compatibility.

-Grim