Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to play some video files, but nothing works. I have installed mplayer (including their binary codecs), xine, VLC and every library to do with video codecs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Video doesn't play

Hello,
    I am trying to play some video files, but nothing works. I have installed mplayer (including their binary codecs), xine, VLC and every library to do with video codecs I could find. Thre has been some progress - at least the video file icon gives a still preview of the video! Anyway, when I try to play any video file using any video player, the player loads, then everything freezes and it logs me off! What can I do or change to stop this? I'm using Fedora Core 6, and my video card is ATI Radeon X1650 Pro. I have installed the official ATI drivers for it. Please Help!

The problem could be with the ATI drivers, which aren't, um, known for their quality.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Thanks

Thank you. I think the problem was with me installing the codecs or something. I have reinstalled Fedora again, and this time used some good installation tutorials I've found (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Fedora_FC6). I have done as they said, and now the video is working! It was my lack of experience in linux, I guess. Although the compiz and desktop effects don't work, but I guess it is to do with the fglx (or something) ATI driver.