Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Kubuntu Edgy, Firefox 1.5.0.9, and MPlayer 1.0. How can I embed MPlayer in Firefox? Note that I am not using any built-in packages, everything is downloaded individually....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Embedding mplayer in Firefox

I'm using Kubuntu Edgy, Firefox 1.5.0.9, and MPlayer 1.0. How can I embed MPlayer in Firefox? Note that I am not using any built-in packages, everything is downloaded individually.

Just Joined!
    There is an mplayer plugin for firefox. Install that and you will be set. (I do believe there are debian/ubuntu packages for it but you will have to look for them...
    John

The package you are looking for is mozilla-mplayer. It's in the multiverse repo so make sure to have it enabled in your sources.list.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Actually I need a solution NOT using debs. My Firefox wasn't part of a deb, I downloaded it myself from the Firefox website. That means I can't just install a package. Can the plugin be installed manually?

Sure. Go to http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/ and download the plugin. I'm assuming it is a normal ./configure, make and make install but consult any README's or INSTALL's that are included.

Any reason you didn't use apt?

*EDIT* - Here are install instructions on their website: http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/install.php
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Just Joined!
    If I used apt, it would install a gajillion other packages, including the crap mozilla browser that comes with Ubuntu. I don't even think the plugin would then work in my version of Firefox.

I'm having trouble configuring mplayerplug-in. It says:

checking for MOZPLUG... yes
    checking for GTK... no
    configure: WARNING: *** Running in X mode - Limited Features ***
    checking for GTK24... no
    configure: WARNING: Some GUI Features are disabled
    checking for GTHREAD... no
    configure: error: Missing gthread package
    I tried installing the gtk dev package, but that didn't fix it. I couldn't find gthread in the repositories. Any ideas?

Well, your obviously missing the GTK-devel, as it can't find GTK at all. So if installing the GTK-dev didn't work, you might want to just download and install the GTK sources by hand.

Linux User
    You could run ./whatoptions.sh to see what options you need to install the plugin.

It installs all the deps because it needs them.

I installed the mplayerplug-in here and didn't have mozilla install. If for some reason it does for you, install it and then uninstall it after the plugin is done. The way you are doing it now is tedious and unmanageable.