Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What exactly is it gonna take to get world of warcraft running in Fedora Core 6? I've heard it runs through Cedega but you have to pay monthly for this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

world of warcraft install

What exactly is it gonna take to get world of warcraft running in Fedora Core 6? I've heard it runs through Cedega but you have to pay monthly for this program. Is there any alternatives?

I'm also wondering if there is driver updates for my video card. I have a 256mb ATI Radeon X1650 Pro.

I also believe i will need ActiveX is installed and am not sure where to get that.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Just Joined!
    no one knows anything about this topic?

I am currently trying to get WoW to work under Wine, i will post if i have any success.

Quote Originally Posted by c0le
    What exactly is it gonna take to get world of warcraft running in Fedora Core 6? I've heard it runs through Cedega but you have to pay monthly for this program. Is there any alternatives?
    WINE is your only real alternative, and it's going to take some work to get it running World of Warcraft. It *may* technically be possible, but not really worth the effort in my opinion. You'd be better off dual-booting.

I'm also wondering if there is driver updates for my video card. I have a 256mb ATI Radeon X1650 Pro.
    Beats me. Check ATI's website for their latest Linux driver:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html

Hopefully they've improved since the last time I tried them. ATI has traditionally had horrendous Linux drivers.

I also believe i will need ActiveX is installed and am not sure where to get that.
    I think you mean DirectX. ActiveX is a web technology available only for Microsoft Internet Exploiter that is the root cause of the vast majority of viruses and other malware for Windows.

DirectX is Microsoft's proprietary 3D library, similar for the most part to the open-source OpenGL. However DirectX is only available for MS Windows operating systems. The latest version of DirectX (version 10) is only available for Windows Vista.

You do not need to install DirectX to run World of Warcraft in WINE or Cedega. In fact, I don't think it's even *possible* to install DirectX in Linux at all.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Trying installing the drivers from ATI's website....lets just say after rebooting i couldnt load any GUI, kept saying Could'nt start X server on card 0. So anyways, i rebooted to cmd line and uninstalled them and had to resetup my display but anyways im back in, but with no drivers installed, just the FC6 install drivers.

Okay, well i got World of Warcraft to install just fine with no problems in Wine. I edited the config.WTF file in /World of Warcraft/WTF/ folder to use OpenGL instead of D3D by adding

SET gxApi "opengl"

to the bottom of that file. When i try to exeucte WoW, and error box pops up saying

"World of Warcraft was unable to startup 3D Acceleration."

I'm assuming this is because i was unable to get the drivers installed. If there is something else i need installed please let me know. Is there any alternative drivers or is it possible that i didnt install the right one or didnt do something right even though the install of drivers had no errors?

(Oh btw, i've read WoW in D3D mode is almost impossible to run smoothly, thats why im trying it in OpenGL, when i try to open it in D3D, it opens i see the intro movie and get to a login screen, but its all horribly laggy and graphics are beyond messed up.)

(And the whole reason i'm doing this is because i'm sick of windows. I can dual boot right now, i still have XP Pro installed with WoW installed so i can play it right now but I'd rather switch over to FC6 and not even have to boot to my windows partition. That would be so nice.)

Quote Originally Posted by c0le
    When i try to exeucte WoW, and error box pops up saying

"World of Warcraft was unable to startup 3D Acceleration."

I'm assuming this is because i was unable to get the drivers installed. If there is something else i need installed please let me know. Is there any alternative drivers or is it possible that i didnt install the right one or didnt do something right even though the install of drivers had no errors?
    Yes, that's exactly what that error means. I've not had much luck getting ATI drivers working in Linux, so I can't really be of much help. Search around the forum; there have been a few threads on this. Perhaps one of those nice folks will pop into this thread.

(And the whole reason i'm doing this is because i'm sick of windows. I can dual boot right now, i still have XP Pro installed with WoW installed so i can play it right now but I'd rather switch over to FC6 and not even have to boot to my windows partition. That would be so nice.)
    Best of luck.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Okay, i google'd "FC6 ATI" and came up with this site:

http://www.phoronix.com/redblog/?p=blog&i=NTU1MA

It details and provides a script written by the author of the article to modify ati-driver-installer-8.29.6.run.

In order to get them to work it says you need to modify xorg.conf located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection
    When i open xorg.conf is says its read-only, how do i go about modifying this file?

Also found this site which tells you how to install and configure Wine for WoW and what else you need to get WoW running.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install...raft_with_wine

And you do need ActiveX in order for the Blizzard updater to work. I am having problems getting this to install though...will post back if i get it working. I still need to know how to modify xorg.conf in order to get my drivers installed.

Just Joined!
    Got the ActiveX controls installed. Had to download mozctlx.dll and put it into the registry, then the install worked great. Command for the was

Code:
    regsvr32 mozctlx.dll
    I'm just documenting everything i do so when i get it working, maybe others can or i can again on another computer lol.

Still need to know how to modify a read-only file so i can attempt the ATI Driver Install again.

Edit: Figured it out, su root then gedit "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

I'm workin on installing drivers now. Will repost how i got it working if it works.

Just Joined!
    I can't get any ATI drivers to install in FC6. Please help.

If i try using a script i found off www.phoronix.net, fglrx-fc6-8296-generator.sh, it downloads the ATI drivers 8.29.6. here's what i get installing that:

Code:
    [root@localhost ati]# ./fglrx-fc6-8296-generator.sh
    Usage See: http://www.phoronix.com/redblog/index.php?p=blog&i=NTU1MA
    Hit any key to continue

--17:47:50--  http://www.phoronix.com/redblog/downloads/Fedora8296-1.tar.gz
    Resolving www.phoronix.com... 216.40.242.204
    Connecting to www.phoronix.com|216.40.242.204|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 10785 (11K) [application/x-tar]
    Saving to: `Fedora8296-1.tar.gz'

100%[=======================================>] 10,785      --.-K/s   in 0.06s  

17:47:50 (169 KB/s) - `Fedora8296-1.tar.gz' saved [10785/10785]

Fedora8296-1/ati-packager.sh
    Fedora8296-1/a-ac-aticonfig
    Fedora8296-1/firegl_public.c.diff
    Fedora8296-1/agpgart_be.c.diff
    Fedora8296-1/ATI-fglrx.spec-tmpl
    Fedora8296-1/atieventsd.init
    Fedora8296-1/drm.h.diff
    Fedora8296-1/drmP.h.diff
    Fedora8296-1/ati-powermode.sh
    Fedora8296-1/agp3.c.diff
    Fedora8296-1/authatieventsd.sh
    Fedora8296-1/a-lid-aticonfig
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.29.6.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 

<----snip-----

RPM build errors:
        File not found: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.29.6-1-12062-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.29.6-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fireglcontrolpanel
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install
    ATI FC6 How-To: edit com/redblog/index.php?p=blog&i=NTU1MA

__________________________________________________ _________

when i try installing ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run this is what happens:

Code:
    [root@localhost Desktop]# chmod +x ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run
    [root@localhost Desktop]# ./ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6
    Creating directory fglrx-install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.33.6...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
    Generating package: Fedora/FC6
    install: cannot stat `fireglcontrolpanel': No such file or directory
    Package build failed!
    Package build utility output:
    Building target platforms: i386
    Building for target i386
    Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.33.6-1-10841-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.36065

<----snip-----

RPM build errors:
        File not found: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.33.6-1-10841-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.33.6-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fireglcontrolpanel
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

any ideas? if i snipped some code yal need to see let me know, this just would have been a rather large post

Just Joined!
    *bump*

anyone know how to fix my fireglcontrolpanel problem?

The makefile for the control panel assumes that the qt libraries are always in /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/lib64, when it should be /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/lib. Just create symbolic link from lib64 to lib/.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast