Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got Ultima Online running better than it ever did on windows, of course it uses an older version of Direct X, Anarchy Online and EVE Online are my current ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hmm, games on linux, not too much luck there so far.

I've got Ultima Online running better than it ever did on windows, of course it uses an older version of Direct X, Anarchy Online and EVE Online are my current projects. I've got EVE to install and patch, but then it goes to a black screen and I have to kill it to do anything else. Anarchy Online refuses to recognise my 3D drivers as valid, although it shows them on the list it won't allow me to chose them, so I have a fully patched shadowlands install on my Slackware box that is so close to running it's even more frustrating than if it crashed while it was installing. I figure that once those three games are running on my computer I will never again be found sitting in front of my wife's XP box sniping Omni-Tek employees or mining omber to get the isogen I need for that new ship component I want to build. Both of these games seem to me like they should run in linux natively, it would probably even boost thier customer base to get more linux geeks online, I know I'd be happy to buy memberships by the year if either one of them put out a linux client. I'd do it by the month if they'd work in WINE or WINEX. As it is I'm considering getting cedega in hopes that both of these games will play then, unfortunatly my new ATi card had to be pulled because I was getting better performance from my GeForce MX4000-T64 than from it. I guess it's good that they at least attepmt to offer Linux support, but I sure wouldn't reccomend ATi to a friend who ran Linux. I'm worried that with my relativly low end hardware cedega would just be a waste of money, I've downloaded and compiled the CVS from transgaming and had no more luck getting either game to run than I had using WINE, I'd just be very unhappy if I spent money on something and still had no luck.

Slackware is going to be the most difficult distro to set anything up on. I run Slackware and run UT2004 on it. I dont use wineX(cadega now) for anything because i have a political objection to it. For starters you have to get Slackware installed from the most recent version. Slack 11 is probably a good choice. Install the most recent kernel 2.6 on the disk. if you have an ATI card its going to be difficult to get the drivers working. i eventually gave up and bought a NVidia Card. But that might be different in your case because the drivers are supposed to have gotten better. And when you look for games look for ones that are known to release linux binaries. there are a few free ones like alien arena but there are a few commercial ones that you have to download the linux installer which installs the binary from the installer and the code base and graphics from the game disk.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Check this site for Linux Games

http://www.happypenguin.org/

There are good games like lincity (A sim-city clone) and boson for linux

If you want to try win games with linux best option would be to use WINE (I prefer WINE)

I was able to run WarCraft, WarLords Battle Cry, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and Hitman with WINE using a ATi card

good luck with linux gaming

You want games? Write one! That's how Linux grows! Otherwise, we'd all be using Minix right now. That's the way of the Linux.

good suggestion there. just what i'm planning on doing soon as i'm outta college. it'll be good practice for the CS course i'll be doing in Uni
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

There's a free alternative to cedega called cvscedega a really simple tutorial can be found here

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...WTO+Cedega+CVS

enjoy