Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i am running fedora core 5 and i recently just installed xgl and compiz. when i try to play ut2004 it lags alot. If i switch back to x11 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Game play is slow

hello i am running fedora core 5 and i recently just installed xgl and compiz. when i try to play ut2004 it lags alot. If i switch back to x11 and then log back in it works ok. Is there a way to run the game without disabeling xgl and compiz. Also this shouldnt go here but when i play a video using mplayer and go to fullscreen the video image stays the same but the window goes fullscreen. It also works ok if i switch back to x11. Switching is a pain. Thanks for any help

Just Joined!
    I remember having similar problems a year or two ago with UT2000 - the problem was that I hadn't enabled dri and glx in my XF86Config (probably be xorg.conf for you).

There's a test tool called glxgears, try running that. The gears should whizz around if X is configured correctly

Quote Originally Posted by aligator2
    hello i am running fedora core 5 and i recently just installed xgl and compiz. when i try to play ut2004 it lags alot. If i switch back to x11 and then log back in it works ok. Is there a way to run the game without disabeling xgl and compiz. Also this shouldnt go here but when i play a video using mplayer and go to fullscreen the video image stays the same but the window goes fullscreen. It also works ok if i switch back to x11. Switching is a pain. Thanks for any help
    What video hardware do you have? Have you installed the latest driver for it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I tried the glxgears and it worked. I have a geforce FX5700 LE video card. With the latest drivers i think how do i find out? i still havent been able to get it to work. i gave up for now. but if anyone has any more adveice i will keep trying because i would really like to play without having to switch.

As of today (15 March 2007) the latest Nvidia driver is version 1.0-9755.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    running any game withour disabling Beryl/XGL is just taking too much system source.

im running Beryl with FC6 , and also run UT2k4 , no problems. its just a couple clicks to disable beryl.