Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
learn C++ and start to download source to learn how things are structured. also find yourself a good book on game programming....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

learn C++ and start to download source to learn how things are structured. also find yourself a good book on game programming.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    also find yourself a good book on game programming.
    I wouldn't recommend this, simply because most of the "game programming" books I've read are high on style and low on substance. Also, an awful lot of them rely on proprietary "game creation tools" that come with the book or try to teach you things in Visual Basic or DirectX, which means anything you make would only run in Microsoft Windows.

I recommend getting a good general programming book and apply what you learn from that to your games. You'll know you've really grasped the concepts when you can adapt what you learned to fit a completely different situation.

Take the concept of C++ classes, for example. Once you can take their "Employee" or "Calculator" classes and apply those same concepts into making a "Player" class for a videogame, you're ready to move onto the next concept. I really don't understand why so many programming books use such boring examples, but I digress.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I wrote a tic tac toe game in Java last semester. It had an AI (one that actually played) but I never got around to making a GUI for it so it's just text based. That's about the extent of my game making experience.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang
    I wrote a tic tac toe game in Java last semester. It had an AI (one that actually played) but I never got around to making a GUI for it so it's just text based. That's about the extent of my game making experience.
    The Java Swing interface is actually kind of fun to play with. I've made several small graphical applications here at work using it. The nice thing about it (for 2D applications) is that they're platform-independent, provided your target platform has the proper Sun VM installed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    I recommend starting a language and sticking with it. What kind of applications/games are you looking to make?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to make a recommendation and I need some more info.
    If you're interested, I'm doing a project based on the Quake 3 engine which is coded in C, I'd be more than happy to have another programmer.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

If you're interested, I'm doing a project based on the Quake 3 engine which is coded in C, I'd be more than happy to have another programmer.
    Do you have SVN, CVS, any tarball release? I would love to read the source code
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

We've not done alot, atm we've only got one coder (He may have to leave due to work related issues), and it's difficult. We have a website www.13cliff.co.uk and I'll put up some eye candy when my concept artist gets it to me.

It's not that far ahead, we're slowly merging into production from planning, we gave the coder a project of porting an awesome physics engine called Gyro from Quake 1 to Quake 3. We're hoping the Q3 engine handles collision detection better than Quake 1.

And we're going to try and release it for every OS we can, as it stands, it can compile for Linux, Windows and Mac, It'd GPL'd code so it's available for compile.

Linux Newbie
    I'll support your project if you want oxygen. I may be buying some hosting and I'll be happy to provide a mirror for you if I have enough space left!

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Elish!

I don't think filespace is going to be my main issue though.

Linux Newbie
    Elish?

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast