Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is a good all around media player to play video, audio, and mp3. I would like one that allows use of different skins if possible, and for it to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Media Player

What is a good all around media player to play video, audio, and mp3. I would like one that allows use of different skins if possible, and for it to run on Fedora 6 64-bit running Gnome. Thanks.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Try mplayer. It should play most media types if you have the win32 codecs installed. You can also skin the GUI version.

Another one that's a must have is VLC player. It plays all formats that i can think of, including music files (mp3's). It doesn't have changeable skins (I don't think anyway). Very usefull app. I'm running it on 64-bit FC6 with GNOME.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up A handy flash tool-Flash Media Player 3.1

A handy flash tool kit designed as Macromedia flash player and manager. It can view or play flash movies with built-in SWF player.

Flash Media Player is a handy flash tool kit designed as Macromedia flash player and manager . It has several powerful flash tools: preview and browse flash movie, capture flash image and set it as wallpaper, create flash screensaver with ease, make conversion between SWF and EXE flash movies etc. All of these features will help you enhance and extend the using possibility of existing flash files. And with friendly user interface, Flash Media Player offers you a fantastic animated flash world!
    http://www.qweas.com/download/video_...dia_player.htm
    It is a flash tool suite for users to download flash movies, view or play flash movie, make flash screensaver, capture flash image and set it as wallpaper, make conversion between SWF and EXE flash movies etc. With this tool you can make your flash files become more useful.

Just Joined!
    I really hope the above advice about Flash is just a joke. Friends don't let friends use Flash.

MPlayer is the best choice for playing *anything* under the sun (even Flash videos - yuk). Unfortunately there is no good Gnome frontend for it, its own GTK GUI is not great at all.

For KDE there is KPlayer which is the best media player I've seen on *any* platform, and it only uses MPlayer as the backend.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I downloaded VLC, when I do a rpm -ivh vlc... there is about a trillion dependencies, is there anyway to tell it to get the dependencies, or do I have to download and install all 50 of them? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    You should first try MPlayer, it is much better than VLC. What distro are you on?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by developer_dave
    Ok, I downloaded VLC, when I do a rpm -ivh vlc... there is about a trillion dependencies, is there anyway to tell it to get the dependencies, or do I have to download and install all 50 of them? Thanks.
    Setup the livna yum repo and do
    Code:
    #yum install vlc