well it seems a lot of places are encoding their files with h264. i downloaded x264 with the hopes of being able to play them back properly only to find that i still cant. some streams only give me some green relics or just freeze up when i skip ahead (namely the mp4 variety) but others freeze up within a few minutes of the stream loading.

mplayer doesnt work (its old, and i guess its too old to be replaced or something because it gives me this crap:
(Reading database ... 153587 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mplayer (from .../mplayer_1.0~rc1-13_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mplayer_1.0~rc1-13_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/mplayer', which is also in package mplayer-586
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/mplayer_1.0~rc1-13_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

i tried uninstalling it before installing the new one it says "its not installed therefore will not be uninstalled" so i manualy deleted usr/bin/mplayer and it still says it cant overwrite /usr/bin/mplayer (a non existant file...wtf?)

ah i set the verbosity level on xine to 10, i got this right when it froze:

audio discontinuity #37, type is 2, disc_off 10054800
waiting for in_discontinuity update #37

it also has a few things marked

ffmpeg_video_dec: error decompressing frame.

im sure part of it has to do with the fact that my system is kinda outdated. (think i got this like 4-5 years ago.) ive upgraded the ram and the vid card, but im still kinda behind

system specs:
amd athlon xp
640 mb of ram
nvidia gforce (some number) 64mb video ram.
i have two HDD's 1 dvd drive and one cd drive.

more info here:

http://emachines.com/support/product...es&model=W2040

i cant think of any more info to give. i hope all that can be of some help in fixing my problem