Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You should do it in Konsole if you're using KDE, or another terminal program (GNOME Terminal, XTerm, etc). Look in the menu 'System -> Terminals'. To become root you have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

You should do it in Konsole if you're using KDE, or another terminal program (GNOME Terminal, XTerm, etc). Look in the menu 'System -> Terminals'.

To become root you have to execute the command:

Code:
    su -
    You'll be prompted for your root password. Then you can execute the previous commands.

Just Joined!
    I tried entering the code as root and this is what I get in my console.

urpmi mozilla-firefox
    unable to take medium "disc 1 Linux Format CD 53a (cdrom1)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.disc 1 Linux Format CD 53a (cdrom1)] exists
    no package named mozilla-firefox

What am I doing wrong? I got a message similiar to this when I tried you guys other suggested codes too.

PS- Do you think that maybe when I installed Mandrake that I didn't install the right amount or proper packages?

Just Joined!
    To install Mozilla-Firefox, you have to add the contrib source to urpmi.

You can execute the command:

Code:
    rpmdrake
    as root, to launch the urpmi install GUI. It has a search box where you can search for the packages you can install with your current sources.

Just Joined!
    mozilla-firefox might not be the name of the package try searching for it using the mandrake command center thats why you got that error.

Just Joined!
    With all of your help guys, I got firefox installed. Now i'm onto putting the proper plugins into the fire fox plugins directory for embedded video. Back in 5 min...

Just Joined!
    One problem after another. Now I get an errof message: "error launching browser window. no XBL binding for windows" This happened after I tried to copy the plugins folder from realplayer to the plugins directory in firefox. Now firefox won't even launch. BTW, the location of my firefox folder is "file:/home/dc/Desktop/New Stuff/firefox_1" That is where I downloaded it to because I am still unfamiliar with where things are in linux. What am I doing wrong now?

Just Joined!
    Which Real Player did you install?

If you downloaded it from Real, uninstall it and undo all that you have done concerning Real Player in your home directory.

Afterwards, install the real-codecs package which is in the plf urpmi source. Now your mplayer should read Real Player files.

Note: All that i've said until now works using the real moziila package from Mandrake. I've haven't tried it with mozilla-firefox, but it should work the same way...

By the way, what did you do to make "file:/home/dc/Desktop/New Stuff/firefox_1" your firefox folder?

Just Joined!
    I right-clicked>make new folder, then I downloaded it to that folder so I could find it. (much like how I do it in windows)

Just Joined!
    BTW, im still having problems with this urpmi thing. Whenever I try it in root, I always get errors to the effect of "can't find it, or doesn't exist"

Just Joined!
    In that case you'd better delete all your old sources of software and keep only the new ones.

You'll have to add the "main" source if you remove your 'Installation CDs' sources. But if they don't work, you're better off with removing them and adding the new main source anyway.

You can delete your sources easily by using "Mandrake Control Center -> Software Management -> Media Manager". You can also add the new ones here...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast