Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by hchasqueira In that case you'd better delete all your old sources of software and keep only the new ones. You'll have to add the "main" source if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by hchasqueira
    In that case you'd better delete all your old sources of software and keep only the new ones.

You'll have to add the "main" source if you remove your 'Installation CDs' sources. But if they don't work, you're better off with removing them and adding the new main source anyway.

You can delete your sources easily by using "Mandrake Control Center -> Software Management -> Media Manager". You can also add the new ones here...
    Do you think that maybe I should reinstall Mandrake from scratch? I think that I didn't install the packages right or not enough. For instance,I don't even have documentation or help files. I know I didn't choose the minimal install, but I think I didn't get everythiing I need. Like, I know where to go when you say "Software Mangement>Media Manager" but I don't even know what you mean when you say add the "main source." When I try to use the help files, it says they are not there. Linux is very new to me. Sorry if i'm annoying you guys with what may seem to you as trivial questions. I'll bet i'mmissing something so small that when I figure it out, I'll say to myself, "damn, how could you have missed that!?" And also, when I look for this "urpmi" thing, I get the GUI screen where it says "installation sources" and the search part says looking for available packages. But when I download something that is not a package, I am stuck. Why can't installing things in Linux (in root) be as simple as installing things in windows? (Don't get me wrong, I dislike windows with a passion. In one years time, I had to do a complete disk reformat like 8 times due to virii and other BS.)

Just Joined!
    I don't think you have to reinstall Mandrake just because you didn't install all you wanted. I'll guide you into installing packages in Mandrake.

RPMs are packages with the files necessary to each program. For example the mplayer rpm file contains the mplayer executable, the mplayer man pages, etc. The rpm command allows you easily install, remove and update packages on your system, because it know which files belong to a package. However, most often then not, a package needs files present in another package to work properly. RPM know this and tells what files you need.

This would work great, if you knew in which packages, the files the RPM you want to install needs are.

To solve this Mandrake came up with urpmi. Urpmi "knows" (as long as you tell him) which packages you have available to install, remove and update in your system. It also knows the dependencies between the packages, choosing them automatically when you choose a package to install. It has a list of sources of software, which may be a CDROM, a FTP or HTTP server or some directory in your hard disk. Urpmi asks you to insert the correct CDs if necessary or downloads the packages for you, in case your using FTP or HTTP repositories.

By default, the only sources that are configured in urpmi are your installation CDs. Since you told you had problems when you tried to install stuff with urpmi, we're going to reset it and configure it from scratch.

First you need to delete the sources that configured in urpmi. Go to "Mandrake Control Center -> Software Manager -> Media Manager". You'll see the list of your current sources. Select one by one and remove them all.

Now go to http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php. This page as a form where you can choose your version of Mandrake. Choose "community" as your version and i586 as your architecture. Click in "Proceed to Step 2".

In step 2, two sections exist: "Core Distribution" and "External Add-Ons". In "Core Distribution" there are two repositories: "main" and "contrib". "Main" includes the 4 Mandrake installation CDS and "contrib" includes packages made by volunteers. The external add-ons contains other software like codecs and stuff...

You must choose a mirror from the available lists to each of this repositories. As soon as you choose the three, proceed to step 3.

In step 3, three lines will appear and should look similar to these:
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/devel/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/devel/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
    Now you have two choices. Either you run the three lines (one at the time) in Konsole as root or you use the add button in "Media Manager". "Media Manager" will ask you for three values. Using the first or the three lines as an example:
    Code:
    • - "plf" is the Name of the source;
      - "ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0" is the path;
      - "hdlist.cz" is the relative path to synthesis/hdlist

When you're done adding the sources, close the "Media Manager". (If you get any errors adding a source, try another mirror for that source)

Now to install software, you can use the urpmi or rpmdrake techniques described before.

Hope this solves your problem...

Just Joined!
    Dude, thanx for taking your time out to help me. I am in the middle of finishing up a very boring required Art Appreciation essay and will try this asap (a little after 12am est).

Just Joined!
    BTW, I just went out and bought $150usd worth of Linux books. I got Red Hat Linux 9.0 Bible (which came with a 3 cd distro of Red Hat 9.0, the 3rd cd is a bonus cd), Moving to Linux, Linux Toys, and Linux For Non-Geeks. So just to show that I am serious about the switch to Linux. I'm not giving up so easily. I'm gonna try hchasqueira's instructions right now. I also have a distro of SusE too. BTW, which is the better distro, Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hchasqueira
    I don't think you have to reinstall Mandrake just because you didn't install all you wanted. I'll guide you into installing packages in Mandrake.

RPMs are packages with the files necessary to each program. For example the mplayer rpm file contains the mplayer executable, the mplayer man pages, etc. The rpm command allows you easily install, remove and update packages on your system, because it know which files belong to a package. However, most often then not, a package needs files present in another package to work properly. RPM know this and tells what files you need.

This would work great, if you knew in which packages, the files the RPM you want to install needs are.

To solve this Mandrake came up with urpmi. Urpmi "knows" (as long as you tell him) which packages you have available to install, remove and update in your system. It also knows the dependencies between the packages, choosing them automatically when you choose a package to install. It has a list of sources of software, which may be a CDROM, a FTP or HTTP server or some directory in your hard disk. Urpmi asks you to insert the correct CDs if necessary or downloads the packages for you, in case your using FTP or HTTP repositories.

By default, the only sources that are configured in urpmi are your installation CDs. Since you told you had problems when you tried to install stuff with urpmi, we're going to reset it and configure it from scratch.

First you need to delete the sources that configured in urpmi. Go to "Mandrake Control Center -> Software Manager -> Media Manager". You'll see the list of your current sources. Select one by one and remove them all.

Now go to http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php. This page as a form where you can choose your version of Mandrake. Choose "community" as your version and i586 as your architecture. Click in "Proceed to Step 2".

In step 2, two sections exist: "Core Distribution" and "External Add-Ons". In "Core Distribution" there are two repositories: "main" and "contrib". "Main" includes the 4 Mandrake installation CDS and "contrib" includes packages made by volunteers. The external add-ons contains other software like codecs and stuff...

You must choose a mirror from the available lists to each of this repositories. As soon as you choose the three, proceed to step 3.

In step 3, three lines will appear and should look similar to these:
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/devel/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/devel/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
    Now you have two choices. Either you run the three lines (one at the time) in Konsole as root or you use the add button in "Media Manager". "Media Manager" will ask you for three values. Using the first or the three lines as an example:
    Code:
    • - "plf" is the Name of the source;
      - "ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0" is the path;
      - "hdlist.cz" is the relative path to synthesis/hdlist

When you're done adding the sources, close the "Media Manager". (If you get any errors adding a source, try another mirror for that source)

Now to install software, you can use the urpmi or rpmdrake techniques described before.

Hope this solves your problem...
    Dude!! This worked like a charm!! I installed Mozilla-Firefox with no problems unitl I tried to run it. When I ran FireFox, this came up, "error launching browser window: No XBL binding for browser." What do I do next? I tried to uninstall and reinstall but that didn't work. I still get the XBL error.

Just Joined!
    I figured out the XBL Binding thing. Here is a page with the fix for all the other people like me that had this problem.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire...xtensions.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3