Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello everyone! I am a Linux newbie (Mandrake 10.0) and am wondering how can I view vidoes online? Whenever i go to a site that has videos (savage-central.com vidoe section), ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with viewing online vidoes...

Hello everyone! I am a Linux newbie (Mandrake 10.0) and am wondering how can I view vidoes online? Whenever i go to a site that has videos (savage-central.com vidoe section), it says I need a plugin (specifically "video/x-ms-wmv, and video/mpeg) to view the videos. I have Mplayer installed. Is there anyway I can make MPlayer my default player for playing videos online? (I am using mozilla.)

Thanx in advance everyone.

Linux Guru
    Go to the mplayer web-site and grab all the codecs you can. Follow the instuctions for installing them, and you should be good to go, although I have still have problems with the co-called subscription Real player media.

Good Luck!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Hey Jeremy, thanx for the reply man! Hey, I downloaded the codecs as you said but I am having trouble installing them. I have never used a "shell" command environment before other than ms-dos (even that, I only know commands like "dir" and "del") so those commands were a little confusing. Why? When I typed the first line of code in and hit enter, I got an error message. Then I tried typing the whole peice of code in one "sentence" and it still didn't work. Any suggestions? Also, when I do have them properly installed, can I make the MPlayer my default online "embedded" video player? If so, how? Also, I just downloaded Firefox web browser and am having some trouble creating a desktop icon for it or an application link on the taskbar. Any help is greatly appreciated. I searched the net and this forum for a good portion of this morning and could'nt find exactly what I was looking for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Since you're using Mandrake 10.0, I'll give you one command for installing software that is invaluable:

Code:
    urpmi <software>
    In Linux, in order to install software, you must be root (there's exceptions to this rule, but that's for a later). You want to install Firefox, then type in:

Code:
    urpmi mozilla-firefox
    That should everything for you, including icons and the such.

To use mplayer as a plugin to any Mozilla app, follow the instructions as mozdev:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/en-AU/linux.html

Let us know if you need more help. There's a lot of great noob tutorials at this site, read through them!

Good Luck
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    Thanx for the quick reply, will try your suggestions and let you know how I did.

Just Joined!
    Also, I must say, you guys here are a lot more freindlier than some other Linux forums that I have been to. Me being "winstitutionalized" by windows like many other people, I have never even heard of linux before about a year ago when I saw a commercial on TV for RED HAT Linux (You know the one where the guy ssaid, "HIs name is Linux"). So I went to some of these sites and clearly explained that I, like many other poeple with computers know how to use google and a forum's search feature. I posted some quaetions which I could not find the answers to, then later, some people replied to my questions (it was like 5 helpful replies total) and the moderator came into the thread, deleted all of the replies, and told me to use google, the search feature, and to browse the forums before I make another post. I was like WTF!?!? I hate it when people insult your intelligence and assume that you don't know how to use only the biggest search engine on the netand a forums search engine, and mind you, I am pretty crafty with finding things on the net, I once searched for 3 months for a peice of old freeware I needed. I sat down for like 5 hours looking through that site and the net for my answers just to not annoy people and when I explained that I did search before asking, it was like the mod didn't even see that part and just assumed that i asked a blind question. (And mind you, that is a HUGE site). The thing is, most "winstitutionalized" people like me have no idea on how to use linux and its various distros and some of its native commands. In windows, you harldy ever use the ms-dos prompt. IN Linux, its an everyday common practice to use the "shell." After seeing what that mod did, I was like, wtf, this guy doesn't want anyone to learn linux? Linux is growing in popularity as more windows flaws are being exposed and more people like me are decideing to make the Linux switch. ANd being recieved like the way that mod did is not cool. I'm really sleepy right now so please forgive my grammar.

Just Joined!
    You can install almost anything using urpmi.

Urpmi has a list of software sources and knows what to install to make the program you want available. You just have to add the sources. As root type:

Code:
    urpmi.addmedia plf ftp&#58;//mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz
    (all in one line)

then you can do:

Code:
    urpmi mozplugger win32-codecs
    Urpmi may say that it has to install aditional packages so that everything works. You should let him do it.

The next time you open mozilla, mplayer will deal with the streaming videos (well, almost all of them).

You can find from software sources in http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php.

Mandrake Control Center has a GUI for urpmi in the Software Management section.

Just Joined!
    Am I supposed to enter this code in "Konsole?" If not, where? (Please, forgive me, I have been trying to learn most of this on my own but sometimes small stuff flies right over my head.) (Im in the middle of writing a paper for a really boring online Art Appreciation course that I need to graduate. So I have to boot back and forth betwen widnows and Linux to try you guys tips. Right now im posting from windows.)

Linux Guru
    konsole, xterm, terminal...

They're all the same, with slightly different variations.

BTW... nice nik, Kaiser. How's Kumbiashi?

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    LOL!! Kumbiashi is cool. He's out rounding up more usual suspects that stole from me LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast