Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not a total newbie to linux, have run several specialized (Freesco, m0n0wall, pfSense, FreeNAS, Clarkconnect) server, appliance, and router distros. However, I am now wanting to set up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fullscreen MP3 jukebox apps?

I am not a total newbie to linux, have run several specialized (Freesco, m0n0wall, pfSense, FreeNAS, Clarkconnect) server, appliance, and router distros. However, I am now wanting to set up a touchscreen jukebox that I have. The problem is that I do not know what apps are out there as far as this goes. I have a source for the drivers for the touchscreen I will be using, so that is not an issue. However, I need a decent player that can handle my requirements.

Here are the specs of the machine:

500Mhz PIII
    up to 384 megs of ram if I need to, less would be better if I can get away with it.
    up to a 15 gig hard drive, again, less would be better

something along the lines of the touchtone audio system TouchTone Audio System - mp3 touch screen jukebox is what I am wanting as far as look and feel if there is something similar, the ability to add songs easily to a playlist, search through my collection, and have a random play feature for when the playlist runs out.

All songs will be stored on my NAS, accessible via NFS or samba, I know that NFS would probably be better for linux use.

I currently have around 14,500 songs, about 100 gigs worth, and that is growing all the time. They are in Artist\Albums\Song naming scheme for albums, and Artist\Song scheme for those that I do not have the whole album for.

Any help is much appreciated

i think amarok would fit your needs...
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

There are some pretty cool screensaver style interfaces I have heard of for Amarok.I used a basic one back in the 1.2 or maybe 1.3 days but I don't know what's out there for it now. You can usually get the plugins for it on kde-apps.org or through the KHotNewStuff which is built into Amarok. Great app.

amarok or banshee is ok as well...though i prefer amarok

Just Joined!

JukeBox Live CD

I would like to see that as well. I have seen Amarok and Banshee and they are not exactly what I was thinking of.

Some software that would display the album covers when they are playing and the like... Big text...

Also the system I am using runs WinXP so I can use my wireless card to get my music to this box. Linux drivers are funky for my WiFi card so far. Sooo, how about a Live CD that boots straight into the media player and allow you to mount a local hard drive? That would be great!

Just dreaming...