Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello it has been a little while since i was last here. ive recently tried installing two games made for windows on linux. one is Soldier of Fortune 2 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kubuntu+Wine=very complicated for games

hello it has been a little while since i was last here. ive recently tried installing two games made for windows on linux. one is Soldier of Fortune 2 and is a "test" version since it is a bit older i didnt want to go looking around for it so ive got a demo. i had it working fine then i had a failure somewhere down the line, and had to reinstall linux. The second game is Battlefield 2, also a demo since ive got better things to do then spend money on a game i dont play too often anyway. so i require some assistance with the following:

1. How to get the right resolution setup to play SOF 2 (it is installed and runs yet very slowly which it did not run slowly before)

2. How to get Direct X onto the computer and install it.

3. how to install binary files and some other help and tips involving file installation with Kubuntu.

4. Which is better Wine, or Cartega (sp)?

5. any tips involving gaming on linux would be very helpful seeing as how i am building this computer for my brother but i want it all done on linux, not another OS so please any info on how to get my problems fixed would be very helpful.

Please Help!

for starters wine has direct x 7 installed already. if you compile it from source you can manage to patch it with directx9 which most games should work but don't be surprised if you have problems. cadega is nice and all for running just games but i never felt it was necessary. between wine and dual boot i think you can manage a better solution than paying 5 bucks a month to play a game. as far as tips i would look into some open source gaming there are superb linux games or even games for both windows and linux. also check out the Unreal tournament series they usually have a linux binary that you install and use the disk for graphical parts of the game. any thing by ID software Doom 3 quake 4 etc will do this as well. just buy the windows version and go download the linux installer from their site.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help but i still need to know how to install binaries. I mean, ive tried copy and paste into konsole but it doesnt work. so please even though i do epreciate the help it is no good until i know how to install them

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well for lets say doom 3 you buy the windows copy go onto the ID site and look for the linux installer. its a .sh file which is a shell script which you run "sh blahinstaller.sh"

when it comes to windows games to install them you have to go into a command prompt type "wine /locationofcdrom/setup.exe" and it runs the windows isntaller which installs to wine's emulated filesystem.

ps remember that windows games that use direct x higher than 7 will not install and be playable. to do that you have to download the source to the latest wine and there is a patch you have to apply to it. it looked easy to apply the patch but i didnt try it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    directx9 has been part of wine since 0.9.x , I think the advice of applying the patch is about 2 years outdated and shouldnt be done, except for regression testing and wine development. Things like World of Warcraft etc work with vanilla wine literaly perfectly.
    This summer, theyll start on the preparatiory work on dx10, and will likely also achieve integrating with mono project for .NET support.

Check the exact instructions for configuring the specific game/app you wish to run on their appdb, Wine Application DB - Wine Application Database so it would work as best it could, and just use a recent version of wine. For a fair number of games, youll need a NoCD crack for that specific game (this should be familiar if you ever used pirated games )

Just Joined!

Question Any plans to support directx10?

I was just wondering if there were any plans to implement DirectX 10 into WINE. It doesn't matter quite yet but I know that m$ won't be releasing DirectX 10 for Xp - and I refuse to buy/use Vista. However, I'd like to play some DirectX 10 games (one of them being ShadowRun) when they come out.

(Btw this is my first post here -- I'm fairly inexperienced with Linux although a bit higher level-wise than a total beginner ) I'm running Kubuntu atm on a machine dual-booted with Xp.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenport View Post
    I was just wondering if there were any plans to implement DirectX 10 into WINE. It doesn't matter quite yet but I know that m$ won't be releasing DirectX 10 for Xp - and I refuse to buy/use Vista. However, I'd like to play some DirectX 10 games (one of them being ShadowRun) when they come out.

(Btw this is my first post here -- I'm fairly inexperienced with Linux although a bit higher level-wise than a total beginner ) I'm running Kubuntu atm on a machine dual-booted with Xp.
    according to wine newsletter talk on this issue, yes they are preparing for DirectX 10. As I said, they should do the preparatory work on this during this summers Google Summer of Code; the project has been accepted and will be financed. Its only some basic architecture though, I think, dont know (but dont think) if it would be enough to get something DirectX10 only to actually work.

I dont know if they will get this even nearley running as soon as DX10 games come out; usually theres some wait to get a new game to work in wine even without it using something like a new version of DirectX (and in some cases, this turns out not to be completely possible at all; some continue to have substantial bugs, or not even work for a very long time). They usually dont implement much before specific apps actually need it, since windows API is massive, and largely unused, and often not documented well or correctly. They do hope not to lose the pace with the new directX though, well see how it plays out. Given the stable XP share of the market and with hopefully some reluctance of ppl to migrate to Vista quiclky, games will likely need to support other options besides DirectX10 for a while at least, perhaps this will give them time enough.

There was even some semi-serious talk on porting wine to XP once they get decent DirectX10 support

But, in general, they say they are confident they can integrate DirectX10 without much work or any significant troubles relatively quickly.

Just Joined!
    yes well i understand about needing to upgrade my WINE but i need to know what to use to compile it and how to compile it with Kubuntu Linux 7.04, if anyone can help me to compile the sources for DX8 and 9 then that would be a huge help.