Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for an MP3 organizer, a good one with a gui. All I want is something that scans specific areas for MP3's only and organizes and puts the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MP3 Organizer

I am looking for an MP3 organizer, a good one with a gui. All I want is something that scans specific areas for MP3's only and organizes and puts the MP3's into categories (based on tags, etc.) It doesn't have to be a jukebox type player as long as I can click on the songs and have them open in my default media player. I have around 3,000 MP3's (legally bought of course.) I also have an E-Music account (which has a working, unsupported, Linux beta version of their E-Music download manager, which is great since I couldn't get the windows version to work with CrossOver.) So I expect my collection to increase a lot more.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

(((I am running Ubuntu 7.04 but any package type will be fine, rpm, bin, deb, etc.)))

I use Amarok, nice Gui, not complicated, and you can specifie wich folder to scan and create a collection (that will organise all Mp3 by Artist and CD) .

i hope it help you,

I'd second Amarok. It's a good player, it has a good tagging function and it has an excellent organising tool that not many people know about. If all of your MP3s are incorrectly named or stored it can move them into structures based on Artist/Album and rename them correctly from the ID3 tags. I tagged a lot of my stuff that wasn't tagged, then ended up moving them into the correct structures.

Good as new!

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I'd second Amarok. It's a good player, it has a good tagging function and it has an excellent organising tool that not many people know about. If all of your MP3s are incorrectly named or stored it can move them into structures based on Artist/Album and rename them correctly from the ID3 tags. I tagged a lot of my stuff that wasn't tagged, then ended up moving them into the correct structures.

Good as new!
    Are you serious?! With over 5000 songs, that would be extremely useful for me. Ive been using amarok for over a year now, and have never run into that. is it a downloadable script? if so, whats it called?

If I got the files as organized as I have made my tags, I would be able to die a happy person. (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much :P )
    Living the digital dream....
    Disclaimer: I may be wrong since I was once before.
    Breathe out so I can breathe you in ~~Everlong

It's right there and obvious, I was kinda surprised myself. Open a test album. Drag the files to the playlist and (assuming the tags are correct) select all, right click > manage files.

You will see the options in there. It really is an excellent tool.

Wow, I never would have found that, even though I look at it daily.

Amarok is by far my favourite program in the world now
    Living the digital dream....
    Disclaimer: I may be wrong since I was once before.
    Breathe out so I can breathe you in ~~Everlong

It did a good job on my 60GB