Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how f-spot works when importing new images. Any pointers gratefully received! I plug in the camera. Window appears asking me if I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

F-Spot confusion

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how f-spot works when importing new images. Any pointers gratefully received!

I plug in the camera.

Window appears asking me if I want to import. Select YES.

F-Spot browser appears showing the images on the camera but no obvious way to import them.

However, there is an 'import' button under 'File'.

This loads a new window showing the same pictures with a big 'import' button.

Press the 'import' button and the selected pics are imported in the folders chosen.

Now start F-Spot and no sign of the pics.

Only solution is to import them again, but from the hard disk.

Surely there's an easier way, this is so long winded. AmI missing something????

Ubuntu 7.04
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    Anyone ?

Or shall I just install Picasa?
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Guru
    F-Spot should make a folder in your home directory called 'Photos'. Inside it will have the photos sorted by date. Is it creating the Photos folder?

Linux Engineer
    Yes, all created. My problem is the import process, too many stages. I just want an app to appear when I plug the camera in and then select the pics and import them to the hard drive and the app - just like Picasa. I can't find a way for F-Spot to do that which is why I think I am missing something. With F-Spot I have to import to the hd and then import into F-Spot itself.
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Guru
    Yeah there is something wrong there. When I plug in a camera it does exactly as you describe, it pops up, imports and it's done. So are the photos in the Photos directory? Do you still need to reimport them every time you start up?

Definitely something wrong there.

Linux Engineer
    I've not used F-spot before so wasn't sure but, yes there may be something wrong.

Plugin and get option to import box. Yes opens up F-Spot but it only allows me to view the pics, have to go to file menu to import. On import the pics are added to the hard drive in the directory and laid out as expected. F-Spot does not show these pics. I then have to physically import into F-spot from the hard drive.

Weird.
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Guru
    After I get the popup box, it imports images from my device (or location). Then I am left with something like this -

Do you have that option to import down the bottom, or is it greyed out? Or are you seeing something completely different?

Linux Engineer
    Nope, I get this

Then if I select file-import from that window, then I get a window the same as yours. But even then, this only copies it onto the hd and doesn't import it into fspot. I have to open fspot and then import from the disk into fspot.
    Lansbury's Lido