Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Slackware 9.1, kernel 2.4.22. I would like to listen to CDs on linux rather than connecting my speakers up to my CD player. I don't know what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with sound

I am running Slackware 9.1, kernel 2.4.22. I would like to listen to CDs on linux rather than connecting my speakers up to my CD player. I don't know what sound card I have. In Eterm, when I press backspace and there is nothing to delete, it sends a beep to the speakers when I have them plugged in. Is there a way that I could have XMMS do the same with MP3s/CDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xmms

If you are playing an audio CD, then you could just do the following:
    Code:
    mount /mnt/cdrom #or wherever your cd drive is;
    cd /mnt/cdrom #same as above;
    xmms *.mp3 #or *.wav, *.ogg, whatever the audio format is;
    That should work for CDs with just one format. If it's mixed:

Code:
    xmms *.mp3 *.wav somesong.ogg
    etc.

-lakerdonald

P.S. Where in Florida? I'm from St Pete

Linux Guru
    Actually, if you're listening to an audio CD, you're not supposed to mount it at all. Audio CDs are treated very specially by the hardware - they don't go through the processor at all. The program simply sends a command to the CD-ROM to start playing the CD, and the CD-ROM will play it autonomously over a dedicated audio cable directly connected to the sound card.

Adrohak, I don't really understood your problem to begin with. Have you tried just hooking the speakers up to the computer and started playing a file with XMMS?

Oh, and btw. lakerdonald, I thought you were from Russia (St. Petersburg). =D

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry. I suggested that because it sounded to me like his setup was prohibiting him from doing that very thing you just said, dolda. I did realize that audio cds are treated differently, but that's probably good that that bit of information is now on the forum for fellow n00bz to see
    -lakerdonald

P.S. maybe i should add USA to my location instead of St Petersburg, FL