Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I use SuSE linux 9.0 and i have an NVidia Geforce 4 MX 440 and i have a problem installing the driver...from the nvidia site's read me, i was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NVidia graphic instalation

Hi,
    I use SuSE linux 9.0 and i have an NVidia Geforce 4 MX 440 and i have a problem installing the driver...from the nvidia site's read me, i was told u update kernel-source and then install the driver using sh....but i keep gettin the error x server running....i am pretty new on linux, and i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me, thank

Hi lunar-blue,
    You should enter run level 3 before starting the steup, the default run level is 5, in this mode the X servier is up and running.
    To temporary change to runlevel 3 type:
    Code:
    su -c "/sbin/init 3"
    and type the root password when prompted for a password. Then once you've entered text mode and recived either a command promt or a log in shell, become root, and run the installer (as intructed by the readme), then when the install is completed run:
    Code:
    su -c "/sbin/init 5"
    and enter the root password if needed, and you should be starting up the grphical mode, you will probably see the nVidia logo after a while and then the standard login prompt. Log in as usual and you should be running the new drivers.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Just to add to what scientica has said above.. make sure you edit your XF86Config file in /etc/X11/ dir.. should be there.

nano XF86Config to edit it and when you are done use ctrl+x to exit... it will prompt you if you wanna save the file and just press enter..

then bring the system to run level 5.