Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why don't all of the games under usr/games appear under the games section in applications?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Usr/games

Why don't all of the games under usr/games appear under the games section in applications?

it is about with the compilation of the source code, while installing a software with source code, at lest you have three command ./configure,make and make install.
    ./configure command has prefix, and this command can be used as this:

Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/some/path/where/I/can/write
    for prefix if you define /usr/games all games will be located at there, if you define other places, games don't locate at /usr/games directory.

Just Joined!
    Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for that, but thats not what I meant. I meant that some games in my usr/games directory appear under "Games" in the Applications menu, and some don't.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSquareCat View Post
    Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for that, but thats not what I meant. I meant that some games in my usr/games directory appear under "Games" in the Applications menu, and some don't.
    It may occur many times, not only with games but with other applications as well. Some applications appear after logging out/re-loggin, some others never.

Personally when I install an app, I look in the applications menu before closing Synaptic. If the application doesnt appear, then I click on Properties (toolbar of synaptic) and then the tab: installed files in order to verify the executable path, which is
    /usr/bin/<executable> or /usr/sbin/<executable> or sometimes /usr/lib/<executable>. For the games it is /usr/games/<executable>

I need the command in order to add manually an entry.
    With right-click on the Main Menu item, you click Edit Menus and this launches Alacarte, the menu editor. You choose a section and then New Item (on the right).
    With apps that need admin rights, the command must be: gksudo <executable>, for example gksudo guarddog (guarddog is a firewall)

When the path is /usr/lib/<executable>, you should put all the path in the command field.