Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a total noob at Linux games, especially the multi-player ones. I'd like to know what if any games you experts and aficionados think would fit these requirements well?: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's a good two-player game for a slow but very intelligent person

Hi, I'm a total noob at Linux games, especially the multi-player ones.

I'd like to know what if any games you experts and aficionados think would fit these requirements well?:

1) Be good as a two-player game.

2) Would work for a person who is not quick, and has relative poor coordination.

3) Would be engaging and fun for someone who is VERY intelligent.

My multi-person gaming experience is mostly with board wargames, like the old Avalon-Hill titles (Waterloo, Stalingrad, Battle of the Bulge, etc.) and others like them, so I and my opponent are comfortable with slow, turn-based games with complex rules and a great deal to consider when taking one's turn. However, we're flexible and would enjoy any game that would be competitive and fun, based on any type of activity (not just warfare).

(I'm assuming multi-player games are usually played on networked PCs, though we'd be fine with using one PC in a turn-based game.)

Also, if you know good places to obtain and learn about Linux games, I'd be appreciative if you could tell me about them.

Thanks.
    - Seren

Also, if you know good places to obtain and learn about Linux games, I'd be appreciative if you could tell me about them.
    i would like you to visit The Linux Game Tome

and LinuxGames - For the People
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Just Joined!
    Since the title and first post of this thread can be taken wrong, the slow but very intelligent person referred to is NOT myself but my gaming partner, in case people were reading a annoying lack of humility into what I'd initially written.

I'm trying to discover what games would be good to play with someone who is very sharp, but who doesn't have speed for playing rapid-reaction shoot-em-up games.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek456 View Post
    i would like you to visit The Linux Game Tome

and LinuxGames - For the People
    Yes, thank you, abhishek, I've just bookmarked them.

I did run into both of them a while ago when I first started looking into Linux games, and the reason I created a thread here instead of immersing myself in those sites is because they are not organized in a way that would allow me to answer the question I began this thread with more easily than by trying one game after another. That's something I can already do via many distributions' software repositories.

I was looking for suggestions that would help narrow down the list of games to try out.

battle for wesnoth, chess, draughts or freeciv may all fit the bill
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

oz
    forum.guy
    Like suggested above by cayalee, I still think of the old standby, chess, as the very best two player game out there, and it certainly works for someone with a high level of intelligence. It's also played at a slower rate, so no problem there.

There are a number of different chess applications that work for Linux.

Good luck with your efforts.
    oz