I am posting this for the benefit of anyone out there looking for a chess program.
I recently switched from SuSE 9.1 to Mandrake 10.0
SuSE had knights installed, which is a chess game. I liked it, so I sought it out to install it on Mandrake.
These are the steps I performed to accomplish this.
1. I went to: http://knights-chess.com/
2. I downloaded the rpm under Red Hat 9.0
3. I installed the rpm
4. I googled for phalanx (you need this); it is located at:
5. I download the rpm for SuSE 9.x
6. I installed the rpm
7. I went to "run command" and typed in "knights"
At this point knights should detect phalanx, but if doesn't, you can manually tell the program where to find it. Go to: settings - configure knights - computer opponents.
I hope this has been of help to someone out there.