Playing high-end M$ games with Virtualbox

Printable View

Thanks for the reply Rubberman! 8-)

Any more knowledge and/or experiences anyone?
  • 03-12-2011
    Rubberman
    What (if any) error messages did you get?
  • 03-12-2011
    nguill00
    Virtualbox aborted XP and closed its window immediately after the Morrowind video introduction. It didn't show any errors or dialog boxes.

Is there a way to show an error log or output to see what is causing it to abort?
  • 03-12-2011
    Rubberman
    To see the VBox log for the VM, open the VBox management UI, highlight the VM entry you used, then open the Machine->Show Log... menu entry. There should be something at the bottom of the log as to what it thinks happened. From what you describe, the game was doing something wonky (good technical term that) with the VM "hardware" that VBox didn't like.

Also, in the System->Motherboard setup screen for your VM, make sure the "Enable IO APIC" is enabled, and in the System->Acceleration screen enable the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" option. When you do that, you need to be sure those capabilities are available and enabled in your read hardware BIOS - the hardware-level virtual machine support.
  • 03-13-2011
    nguill00
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    To see the VBox log for the VM, open the VBox management UI, highlight the VM entry you used, then open the Machine->Show Log... menu entry. There should be something at the bottom of the log as to what it thinks happened. From what you describe, the game was doing something wonky (good technical term that) with the VM "hardware" that VBox didn't like.

Also, in the System->Motherboard setup screen for your VM, make sure the "Enable IO APIC" is enabled, and in the System->Acceleration screen enable the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" option. When you do that, you need to be sure those capabilities are available and enabled in your read hardware BIOS - the hardware-level virtual machine support.

I'll try this when I get home tonight...my work schedule has been wonky ;)
    Thanks again rubberman!
  • 03-28-2011
    adamchronister8
    I know there used to be a program that made it easier to play Windows games in Linux. I think it had Crossover in the title. If it's still around, you should look into it.
  • 06-16-2011
    dvid
    I tried to do the same thing with warcraft III (And old game), and dont works.
  • 06-17-2011
    gruven
    I have tried vmware and virtualbox, and to tell you the truth, wine does a MUCH better job of running the games than either of those did.