Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I installed from a minimal CD so I downloaded everything during the install and I could also browse the internet via links and stuff, so the cd knew that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No internet on clean gentoo

Well I installed from a minimal CD so I downloaded everything during the install and I could also browse the internet via links and stuff, so the cd knew that I had internet and could connect to it. After I was done with the CD I took it out and booted up and I couldn't ping Google or anything like that and ifconfig shows eth0 and lo about what it should look like but in /dev/ there is no eth0. Don't know if that's a problem. Right now, to install any packages I have to boot up on the CD and then mount my hard drives and install something with emerge because it's the only way it will autodetect the internet. Also, when I boot up to regular gentoo on my hda3 I can do the command:
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    and it says that it's already active...and I've always use DHCP to connect to the internet on every OS I've had.

I know everyone says to read through the forums on this one but I've read some of the responses and none of them have answered my questions. I also installed hotplug and I tried to install coldplug but it said that it couldn't because it 'conflicted' or something with hotplug.

Thanks for your help.

Make sure the module is loaded, and make sure it is using the correct module.

eth0 could be firewire or something like that. You might want to check that out. I know on my laptop my wired connection is eth1.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Oh man!

I read your message on my laptop as I was typing dhcpcd eth0 on my desktop and it said it was running and it showed a file afterwards.

I navigated to the file (/var/run/dhcpcd-eth0.pid) and moves it to dhcpcd-eth0.pid.bak and then ran dhcpcd eth0 and now I can connect to the internet just perfect! : )

Hopefully if someone else encounters this problem they can fix it the same way I did. I'm not sure if I have to delete that file every time I start up, but if I do I can just make a little script for it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close