Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux. I've been using the gentoo handbook to install gentoo on a server for my professor, so I used hardened-sources as opposed to gentoo-sources. Anyway, I ran ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling issues

I'm new to linux. I've been using the gentoo handbook to install gentoo on a server for my professor, so I used hardened-sources as opposed to gentoo-sources. Anyway, I ran emerge genkernel and copied over the installation cd kernel config. Then I ran genkernel all, and it started to compile, but then my computer just shutdown. I didn't receive any warnings or anything. What did I do?

It probably got too hot, and it shut down to avoid frying the processor.

That is just a guess, it could have also overtaxed the power supply, and it just crapped out.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

yeah that was happening to me with when my power supply was on the outs and a lot of dust in machine.

Compiling really taxes processors ... also happened on my crappy laptop alot. I had to set a fan up next to it and prop up the laptop on two books during any major compiles.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have an older P3 1 GHz that I had heat issues with. I just took the heatsink off the processor, put some arctic silver on it, added an exhaust fan, and blew everything out really well. Oh, and replaced the power supply with a 350 watt known good one, and I don't have any problems out of that computer any more.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry